Ascension Island. . . Anyone ever been?

Heading there for a possible few weeks tonight. Packed a 6000 spinning reel a 6500 ambassador c3 and a smaller 4000silver spinner. . . From what ive read its absolutely amazing fishing. Yellowfin tuna from the beach! Jacks all night long! Just curious if anyone has a tip or 45 for me if they have been!

Never been, but I have read all about it. Some of the best fishing in the world, I would try to charter a boat out and go marlin fishing.

00’ Seapro 17’CC w/ 90 yamaha 2stroke

From what ive read the charter boats are only there in the winter time. Im going to try and get out with a local fishermen if at least possible.

I didn’t know that place was open for tourism. Had a crew chief friend that has been there. You’ll sure be in the middle of no where! Used to be an alternate landing strip for the Space Shuttle but was never needed.

Take some pics and post for us!

Lol tourism whats that? Im a flying crew chief as well. . . Ill for sure post pictures!

friend of ours has landed there a few times and says the fishing is some of the best in the world

quote:
Originally posted by Waldo

Lol tourism whats that? Im a flying crew chief as well. . . Ill for sure post pictures!

I just assumed… What you flying in?

quote:
Originally posted by Waldo

Heading there for a possible few weeks tonight. Packed a 6000 spinning reel a 6500 ambassador c3 and a smaller 4000silver spinner. . . From what ive read its absolutely amazing fishing. Yellowfin tuna from the beach! Jacks all night long! Just curious if anyone has a tip or 45 for me if they have been!

You may want to bring some bigger tackle also. This is a picture of dad there in the early 70?s. I also remember him bringing back a cooler full of grouper fillets on that trip. Good luck, let us know how you did when you get back.

><>

Several experiences on Ascencion Island. Fishing in surf, triggerfish everywhere. Spearfishing, most of the grouper I spotted were small, less than 2 pounds. Ask around on the island, some of the St Helenians (the locals) have boats and they will take you out for a price. About 10 years ago we went in a boat with some locals for $40 each. We fished about 1/2 mile out, drifting live bait, we caught 4 yellowfins and an Atlantic jack, all about 30 pounds each, in about an hour. The skipper and mate cleaned the fish for us, we packed the fish on ice from the cafeteria and flew back to the states. The water was about 400 feet deep, just offshore!
Don’t expect to see any Scout center consoles, mostly handmade 20-25 foot wooden low freeboard boats, I think safety equipment is optional also.
The water visibility is incredible, there are a few small beaches that are white sand, instead of volcanic black sand. Watch out for the “rogue” waves.
Make sure you do the trek up to the top of the “hill”, and drive on the wrong side of the road.