ashley river bridge lane

So all the fire and brimstone was for naught. It seems like traffic on the bridge is better than it used to be with all the lane jumping etc?

Folly is backed up a good bit, but I expect that to even out.

Next step is to make calhoun closed access so the connector can dump into the peninsula without backing up too far?

What has your experience been?

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

So all the fire and brimstone was for naught. It seems like traffic on the bridge is better than it used to be with all the lane jumping etc?

Next step is to make calhoun closed access so the connector can dump into the peninsula without backing up too far?

You are the only one I have heard say traffic if better with the lane closure. Listening to the radio in the morning people are saying it is adding 10 to 15 minutes to their commute.

I made it from johns island downtown in 20 minutes. Maybe its just me? Or traffic is worse on the other “feeder” streets like further down 61 and 17? But looking now (840) on google maps the bridge is green and 17 N from west ashley is green/yellow. Folly road is red and connector is red…

how many bikers were spotted…

The lane was filled with traffic cones today when I went over. I expect there will be a fair amount of pedestrian traffic when it is open, like the ravenel bridge. Did you drive it and see? Or just don’t like the idea?

quote:

The lane was filled with traffic cones today when I went over. I expect there will be a fair amount of pedestrian traffic when it is open, like the ravenel bridge. Did you drive it and see? Or just don’t like the idea?

Like the Ravenel bridge? People walk that bridge to see the sights and get a 4+ mile walk in, not for transportation (maybe some). The traffic for this project on that bike lane will be minimal at best. Charleston still has not accepted the “big city” transportation styles. People don’t carpool, they don’t take the bus, they don’t ride bikes or walk (for the most part).

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Ask JordanonaYak about the need for a bike lane. He was hit by a car on the bridge a couple of years ago

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

how many bikers were spotted…

Technically, it is not open to bike or pedestrians, yet. This is just a “test” to see what would happen, if they did close the lane to traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

Ask JordanonaYak about the need for a bike lane. He was hit by a car on the bridge a couple of years ago

Was he on the sidewalk? The possibility of making the sidewalk 2 feet wider and narrowing the lanes just a touch came up as well. I was baffled that it didn’t get more attention.

Wadmalaw native

quote:

Since the increase in congestion will necessarilly happen upstream of the new constriction, how traffic flows after the constriction is missing the point COMPLETELY! Traffic after the choke point will obviously flow more smoothly as the choke point is a choke point.

Civil engineers that design roads could have (and, I’m sure did) predict exactly how this test would turn out.

There is nearly no way that the Folly Road congestion will ‘even out.’ The only slight improvement will come from people opting for the JI express way. And, that relief will be very temporary.

James and John’s Islands are two of the fastest growing areas surrounding downtown. Reducing the capacity of the roads between those areas and downtown makes NO SENSE.

We paid for and built those roads because we needed them.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Nope, he was in the roadway hugging the line. Old guy in a Caddy wiped him out.
Technically bikes aren’t allowed on sidewalks

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:

Since the increase in congestion will necessarilly happen upstream of the new constriction, how traffic flows after the constriction is missing the point COMPLETELY! Traffic after the choke point will obviously flow more smoothly as the choke point is a choke point.

Civil engineers that design roads could have (and, I’m sure did) predict exactly how this test would turn out.

There is nearly no way that the Folly Road congestion will ‘even out.’ The only slight improvement will come from people opting for the JI express way. And, that relief will be very temporary.

James and John’s Islands are two of the fastest growing areas surrounding downtown. Reducing the capacity of the roads between those areas and downtown makes NO SENSE.

A study was done and they determined there would be a 7 second delay during rush hour and that would grow to 12 seconds by the year 2040.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20160321/PC16/160329962/1177/ashley-river-bike-lane

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

Nope, he was in the roadway hugging the line. Old guy in a Caddy wiped him out.
Technically bikes aren’t allowed on sidewalks

Technically, bikes aren’t allowed in the roadway either. So in that situation, self preservation would make me ride the sidewalk…sure there’s some blame on the Caddy, but…

Wadmalaw native

Read up on bike law Bikes are required to use the roadways and remain as close to the right side as practical

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Technically, bikes aren’t allowed in the roadway either. So in that situation, self preservation would make me ride the sidewalk…sure there’s some blame on the Caddy, but…

Wadmalaw native

You are incorrect. And also I disagree with the implication that the driver of a car who hits another in the roadway is somehow less responsible for the accident if the person he hits is not in a car… Do you feel the same way about a driver clipping a motorcycle or moped?

All this threadjack aside- did anyone else go over the bridge and see any difference?

I am in Riverland on James island. My usual commute to work in West Ashley is 15 minutes when school is in, between 730 and 8. This week (it is Tuesday, so two days) it has been double. I still like the idea of a bike/ pedestrian lane. Honestly I have no problem being a little inconvenienced of it helps other people.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

I know in the past I have seen people on the Wappoo Cut bridge get off and walk their bike across the bridge using the sidewalk. I always just assumed that this was law, but never really gave it much thought. Would there be any reason this could not be done on the Ashley River bridge instead of closing the lane. I have not ever looked at the width of the sidewalk this may not be an option. It does not effect me either way as I rarely go that way anymore, but I cannot imagine that with all of the extra traffic we have and will continue to get that this will be a long lasting solution. Just think of when all the apartments they are building right there off of Albemarle and the on James island fill up with occupants, many of them will be heading that way into down town.

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13
quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:

A study was done and they determined there would be a 7 second de

quote:
Originally posted by jipride

I am in Riverland on James island. My usual commute to work in West Ashley is 15 minutes when school is in, between 730 and 8. This week (it is Tuesday, so two days) it has been double. I still like the idea of a bike/ pedestrian lane. Honestly I have no problem being a little inconvenienced of it helps other people.

Karma is 360 degrees

Some got to win, some got to lose…

Whether or not you, personally mind spending more time sitting a car is beside the point.

Can you imagine the lost value of all the cumulative time spent sitting in cars, doing nothing productive or enjoyable, for many thousands of people, every day, for decades? That is very expensive.

Measure out the cost in whatever units you like. Time on the job. Time with family. Time on the water. Time is valuable.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Wadmalaw native

You are incorrect. And also I disagree with the implication that the driver of a car who hits another in the roadway is somehow less responsible for the accident if the person he hits is not in a car… Do you feel the same way about a driver clipping a motorcycle or moped?

All this threadjack aside- did anyone else go over the bridge and see any difference?

Please show me where I said the driver was LESS responsible.

Whether I’m incorrect or not, if I’m crossing a bridge that has a sidewalk, and I’m on a bicycle, I’m using the sidewalk. That’s called self preservation, and in this case, the law or ordinance or whatever that says bikes cant be there is null and void in my mind.

Think what you will, but I’m looking out for ME whenever possible.

Wadmalaw native