AT&T Outage

Is Killing me today.

http://www.live5news.com/story/35869023/lowcountry-customers-reporting-att-phone-internet-outage

So your brother told me this morning… Go Verizon… Oh, and it’s the Russians :wink:

It’s sad that the Charleston county government and other entities had to send out tweets and FB posts telling people to NOT go to the AT&T store because they could not fix your problem…apparently caused traffic jams and wrecks and all.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

That’s going to be a lawsuit either the construction company or locate.

phones are now portable mini computers, some folks use them to do just about everything

I’m dealing with a family crisis and was unable to reach my son, he’s a Chas County Paramedic and doesn’t have an office location, I could have called the dispatcher but don’t think they would have liked that

there are two challenges:

1. folks that ignore the 811 one call process and dig without getting locates done, and
  2. when underground infrastructure is not marked correctly

there are potential criminal and civil actions, when one digs up an underground power cable and knocks out electricity to a business they can be sued for damages, I can see a scenario where someone only has a cell, can’t call 911 and someone dies due to delayed response

the locate companies carry liability insurance but they are also good at what they do and will over-mark to prevent issues

Pioneer 197SF

Jayden K Smith is responsible.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

quote:
Originally posted by interceptor4

That’s going to be a lawsuit either the construction company or locate.

Unfortunately no.

This was a fiber optic trunk line cut by DOT in St. George…and according to my AT&T field repair neighbor, they can’t touch DOT for it.

Wadmalaw native

it seems like a company as big as AT&T would have redundancies for situations like this.

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

it seems like a company as big as AT&T would have redundancies for situations like this.

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

They do, but it takes time to move the load over to other ‘circuits.’

They got it done yesterday WAY faster than they normally would, and faster than the estimates they were giving out.

Wadmalaw native

That’s one very expensive ass repair bill I wonder who foots the bill for it.

Probly the 811 folks! I’ve had the mark stuff wrong for me dug up many a phone cable and gasline! Dug up a 12" waterline once and drained a 1/2 million gal water tank.

I kind of understand people going by AT&T. I happened to be eating in a place where I don’t get cell service. When I walk out I normally have several emails. I noticed I had none, which seemed strange, did not notice I did not have cell service until I pulled up at my office. I rebooted the phone thinking it must have not picked up the signal after I left lunch and still nothing. Once I walked in the office and everyone said theirs were down. Had I been out in the field I would have assumed it was my phone as the news outlets were very slow to pick it up. When you do most of your business by phone and email attached to that phone being down is not good.

I was out when it went down. Thought service was the issue, as it usually is. Your phone isn’t going to all of a sudden stop getting signal because it’s broken. If your phone says “no service” unexpectedly, you can bet it is a service issue and not YOUR hardware. Going to the store will do nothing.

I’m sure glad they got it handled quickly…but just goes to show how dependent we really are.

Wadmalaw native

I don’t understand all the fuss. So peoples phones were down a few hours. people had to remember what the early mid 90’s were like before the cell pandemic took over. I wish I had had At&t. A few hours of peace would have been nice. why I carry road maps in the car and stamps in my wallet. I am not even a old timer just hate having a cellar leash.

Tigershark I agree we have become to dependent on them. When I posted AT&T was saying that we were going to be down 48 hours and while I try my best not be so dependent on it in my personal life (probably still am) When I posted it was out of frustration that my work is dependent on it and it is how my customers communicate their needs (many times urgent)to me. I do remember having to pull over and call from pay phones. I also remember having to take messages for my dad at our house growing up and he would call a few times a day to find out who he needed to call or go see.

I think I would adjust just fine to a ban on cell phones.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’m sure it will fall on them. I’ve been the equipment operator for every electrical company I’ve worked for and I’ve hit many of gas lines and even fiber optic lines but it always fell on locate because they were off their mark.