Auto dealer "Docking Fee"

I’m finding out that dealers like to tag on docking fees. Why do they want to charge a potential buyer rent to stock the vehicles that they order to sit in their lots?

That’s easy! To make/try to make more money off you.

That’s a “creative twist” on ripping off the public. Car dealers are a bunch of schmucks and creeps who simply are incapable of competing for an honest profit. Undercoating was the big scam when I was in the business. Once they couldn’t get away with that, they started charging “document fees” of several hundred dollars. When we had models that were in high demand they would simply mark up the MSRP and tell people to get in line. I’m amazed the public put up with it, and apparently they still do.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

I was told once the “DOCKING FEE” was what it cost to get the vehicle to the dealer. Managed to argue enough to get it dropped twice. Didn’t work so good this last round. Never had them charge for the paperwork as far as I know. Had a couple give me a cut on the dealer add on. That docking fee has been going on a long time.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Its pretty simple, really. Tell them to take it off or you walk away. They want to sell the car, they also hope you don’t pick through the final invoice.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Yeah, I am up here in Fayetteville, NC, for the weekend and the Rick Hendricks dealership here charges a “Dock fee” of $675 and then a nitrogen in the tires fee of $249.99, Lol. I just laughed at the guy and said, “The only way I’d buy this vehicle is if there were no property rent fees and y’all leaked the nitrogen out the tires and replaced it with free air.”

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

Some newer cars that have tire pressure sensors have to use compressed nitrogen so it doesn’t screw up the sensor. I wouldn’t want that, but some people really like it.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Then they should incur the fee…

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

Do you expect to pay other business to carry inventory? The grocery store? Nitrogen is a scam. They have no way of filling a tire w/ 100% nitrogen.

it’s been my experience that Doc Fees = document fees, it costs them money to have the back office people, the last dealership I was in had signs that simply stated, the Document Fees are $XXX, they are on every vehicle and not negotiable

I have no problem with that, the MSRPs today are closer to the manufacturer invoice than they were in the past, and it’s easy to get cost data to negotiate with, the margin the dealers have to work with is thinner, they have to get the money from somewhere

the nitrogen, undercoating, etc are BS and I’ll argue those all day

Pioneer 197SF

Maybe I’m Old School, but I’ve never heard of Nitrogen filled tires? Tell me this! How does the car get off the truck, on flat tires? Must have something in there. What happens if you have a flat in Walterboro, or worse Round O? There’s just to much BS, being put on car’s today! I don’t need a sensor to light up a light on the dash, to tell me a tire is low!

Businesses exist to make money. If they can turn some of their costs onto the consumer, then that’s what they’ll do.

An article about nitrogen filled tires.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/tom-ray/whats-deal-nitrogen-filled-tires

Pretty much an unnecessary expense for the average passenger car.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

If they just got the car in, don’t forget to ask them about “dealer holdback”. Usually the manufacturer will pay them to carry the car in inventory for so many months.

This is a good article to read prior to walking into a dealership. Learn the tips, study the numbers they put before you, never fall for the “what do you want your payment to be” line, always have financing secured before you hear their offer. Don’t be afraid to get up and walk out. Visit 3 or 4 dealerships and let them know they aren’t the last stop you’ll make. My last negotiation I ended up saving $10K on the truck. Ended up walking out on them with the salesman begging me to stay. 1/2 mile down the road they were calling me to accept my offer. I saved 23% off the advertised price. The salesman was pissed, his manager was happy they sold a truck.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Here’s a new one that Rick Hendricks Dodge just pulled on me last week. Ring Ring, Hello I see you just stopped in and spoke to one of our sales persons. We were wondering if you were still interested in trading in you 2009 Dodge Ram? Funny thing I havent been to Rick Hendricks Dodge for over a year since the screwed up my oil change and tire rotation for the 3rd time.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Rick Hendrick is a joke. I called them not long ago to ask about torque specs on the hub for my Dakota. I dont have the keeper on my spindle just a single use lock nut. They told me they never torque anything they just hit the bolts with an impact till it stops.

Alan Reece.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/acr242004/dakota]

[/URL]

So, what is an acceptable fee to fill out documents… Smh. when I bought my Boss last year there was no mention of a doc fee and I wasn’t assessed one. Store manager clicked a few buttons on the computer and, Voila!!! Documents appeared for me to sign. I did more work signing them than he did as all the info was in the computer beforehand.

Even though I can afford it, I have never bought a new car or a car from a dealership. And until I have a large amount of disposable income that is just burning a hole in my pocket, I won’t waste it on a new car. I currently own and maintain three vehicles with a combined mileage of somewhere close to 750,000. That’s getting close to a million miles. Car payment every month is $0 and has been for the last 10 or 15 years. Of course I like “savings the money” as the commercial says. And I don’t give one skinny crap about keeping up with the Joneses.

Dave Ramsey has some pretty flawless thoughts on this.

Narcosis

quote:
Originally posted by DrumReaper

So, what is an acceptable fee to fill out documents… Smh. when I bought my Boss last year there was no mention of a doc fee and I wasn’t assessed one. Store manager clicked a few buttons on the computer and, Voila!!! Documents appeared for me to sign. I did more work signing them than he did as all the info was in the computer beforehand.

Maybe its your look. You shoulda borrowed my old dodge to drive up there and not one of your hotrods!!! Those boys can smell money coming from a mile a way!!

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com