Automation In the future

We just tested about every crossover SUV on the market. I would say 90% of them had electric steering. Felt awful. Which is why we are probably going with a GX460, one of the last true SUVs. Solid rear axle, NA V8, mechanical steering. Drives like a tank on air suspension, and gets the MPG to prove it.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

there is a difference between electronic steering and drive by wire steering

electronic steering still has a mechanical steering shaft going down to the steering box but has an electronic powersteering pump. this gives the computer the ability to force your steering wheel into a specific direction. for example, i was driving a friends mercedes e350 and he wanted me to “drift” it for him. i turned traction control “off” proceded to attempt a drift, but every time i went to get the back end out, the steering wheel would push the other way and correct itself.

drive-by-wire steering has the steering wheel and steering box completely separated. there are sensors on the steering wheel that then tell relays on the steering box which direction to go.

as far as i know, Infiniti is the only one to have true drive by wire steering in production right now. I know there are a couple “exotic” sports cars/production race cars that use the technology as well, but i cant remember which cars they were.

Gotcha, thanks for the detail. Sounds similar to what we do on our old rock crawling buggies. But we use hydraulic. There is no connection between the wheel and steering linkage. Just a pump with hoses that go to the hydraulic ram. Similar probably to what is on other heavy equipment, fork lifts, etc.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

i was driving a friends mercedes e350 and he wanted me to “drift” it for him.

Okay, at least we know who has seen all of the "Fast and Furious" movies, and who has a Vin Diesel poster in his house now!
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

i was driving a friends mercedes e350 and he wanted me to “drift” it for him.

Okay, at least we know who has seen all of the "Fast and Furious" movies, and who has a Vin Diesel poster in his house now!

its a poster of paul walker, thank you very much

quote:

its a poster of paul walker, thank you very much

LOL!!! Well, in that case, that's okay.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by Great White

Your ABS is automated. Do you think ABS has caused more deaths too? Planes fly themselves about 99% of the time. If it was so unsafe do you think the FAA would allow it? If it was up to me I’d never have a vehicle with ABS. Never had a problem with manual brakes, actually ABS on a very muddy road sucks. I could show you easier than tell you. Are you sure it’s 99% of the time… I don’t think so. </font id=“blue”> No I made up the stat but I know an retired pilot that would read books for all but takeoffs and landings, auto did the rest. Muddy roads are an exception and I wouldn’t be surprised if ABS is still better there. ABS reduces break distance and allows the driver more control as the skidding is minimal. </font id=“red”>

It won’t be perfect the first time around but lots of smart people are working on it. Since it won’t be perfect the first time around, you gonna trust it with your life? I’m sure lots of smart people are working on it, but do these smart people also know about mechanical applications? </font id=“blue”> Yes they will know about mechanical applications. the R&D won’t just be 5 programmers. Also you need to keep in mind that these additions will be spoon fed to us. ABS > Electronic steering > Electronic breaking > automatic breaking > blind spot sensors > self parking > lane detection warnings/adjustments > bumper to bumper breaking control > emergency warni

There will be robots doing brain surgery at some point (if not already)… Computers and automation are the end game. As technology evolves, more and more will be automated. Think about what that means for the first jobs to get automated which are typically the “unskilled” type of jobs. How do those people learn new skills, trades? What will they do for work when their job is being done by a robot?

Just one more reason the stock market is so important. Own a piece of the American economy before your job vanishes into thin air. At some point, there won’t be many workers. There will only be “owners” and robots.

Skinneej, my son was operated on by a Doctor that sat 6ft away, running a joy stick and watching a TV screen! He cut out 6 inches of his colon and I’m guessing reattached it with superglue! They put 5 holes in him with the center hole being the camera! He’s doing well, walking a mile a day:smiley: Guess he got tired of my cooking and went home yesterday:wink:

All this wonderful (or dreaded, depending on your view) technology but I’m still waiting for the most needed - get slow moving vehicles out of the fast lane on highways!

quote:
Originally posted by DownLow

All this wonderful (or dreaded, depending on your view) technology but I’m still waiting for the most needed - get slow moving vehicles out of the fast lane on highways!

that’s what the cattle bars and train horn is for :smiley:

Saw on NBC news tonight a video of a Tesla in Germany that auto breaks in a split second to avoid the wreck in front of it. Awsome job!

quote:
Originally posted by DownLow

If that happens, I’m all for the advancement!! Even so S.C. needs to triple lane I95 & I26. Even then, I’d bet we would still have slow driving butt wipes in the hammer lane.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”