Azaleas

So we got some new neighbors last week and it seems while the wife and I were at work they cleared up some brush in between the yards and cut down about 15 feet of azalea bushes that were on the property line. My wife is pretty pissed. I have ample azalea bushes in the backyard. Any advice on how to move them up front? I feel like if I got some with some size to them they would be ok to bloom again next year. thanks!

Azaleas are pretty hardy. They have shallow roots and can be transplanted easily. I have even yanked them out with my truck and replanted with success. My guess is that it is probably a good time to do this now.

I wrap a rope around the base and yank them out with a truck. Can’t hardly kill them. Better done in late fall or winter, but they will probably be ok anytime. Truck beats a shovel :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

thanks, hopefully they will bloom nicely next year. I have no idea why the guy cut them down, they were some of the best blooming bushes in the neighborhood, now it just looks like someone bushed whacked an area and didn’t clean it up.

If they just cut them back and left the roots, they will come back on their own.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Where are the new neighbors from?

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

quote:
Originally posted by DolphinD

Where are the new neighbors from?

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

Exactly, and have you flattened their tires yet?

honestly thought they were contractors cleaning up the property for the first week or so, then realized the real estate sign was gone. I’ve only seen him outside the one time and waved while he was running a chainsaw. I was hoping our first conversation would not be wth were you thinking. I eyed the fence post and property marker at the street and the main bush was about 4 inches inside his property, so I guess I can’t do anything. Just going to move some over there and plant on my side. But yes, the first thing I thought was “(**() yankees don’t know what the h they are doing!”

Cutting down an azalea bush because it’s over the line; that’s kind of like cutting of your nose to spite your face. It’s not like it was an ugly plant, a chemical dump, or a cat. I wonder what he will do with his newly-reclaimed 4 inches of land.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Men talking about flower bushes in a fishing forum. You have all been temporarily banned for a week to get your man cards back and think about what you have done. Obviously your participation in the ban is based on the honor system, but the intent is still there. Shame on you all.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Men talking about flower bushes in a fishing forum. You have all been temporarily banned for a week to get your man cards back and think about what you have done. Obviously your participation in the ban is based on the honor system, but the intent is still there. Shame on you all.

You better hush up, you sound a lot like Fritz on the political section. Besides I like flowers.

Mac, if they were on the property line and that big, look on your side for limbs that may have taken root. They’ll be back up in no time. Did your neighbor know what he was cutting down? Lot’s of people are clueless to ornamental shrubs. You got any pictures of them blooming? Maybe politely show your neighbor how pretty they were. ? If you have more in your back yard, look for low hung branches touching the ground and look to see if any have rooted. Just cut the limb back and gently dig up the rooted part and replant. Azaleas are darn near bullet proof.

If that fails, good fences make good neighbors.

They should grow back. I would cover up with straw during cold nights though.

Joey Bradley

Question: Did they cut tem off at the ground or pull up the stumps?? If cut, they will be back in no time ad be stronger and look better. I cut mine to the ground every 3-5 years. A bag of 10-10-10 will go a long way to making the regrowth happen. If they pulled the stumps, first you have a legal right to have them replaced if “on the line”. second transplanting, do this in the dead coldest part of winter when the plants have had plenty of water for two weeks ahead. Shovel them out as big as you can handle and pack/wash the dirt tight back around the root system. They will go.