backing up 40 lb. power pro

I am putting 300 yds of 40lb power pro on a reel that would hold 390 yds of P.P. I would like to back it up with some mono and what test line would you recommend that would be compatible with the 40 lb. power pro?? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry

Assuming if you get down to the backing you’ve already lost the fish… i.e. backing is just to fill the spool.

Match diameter.
PP 40lb is .012
Trilene 12lb mono .013

12-15lb mono gives good diameter while laying down well for a smooth consistent spool.

Heavier mono tends to get stiff, and braid can sink into the gaps causing lumps in the spool.

I’d match it with 40lb or spool the top with some thing heavy for extra power in close depending what I’m fishing and where.

Spinning reel or conventional? If it’s conventional, I wouldn’t bother with backing at all unless you want just a few yards of mono to help prevent sliding around the spool. No real downside to having a half-full spool, plus you can get a little more drag that way if you need it.

If it’s spinning gear, I’d just use 30 or 40# mono. It usually doesn’t matter (friogatto has a good point about the lighter stuff laying down nicely, though), but if I’m even the least bit worried about getting spooled, it’s nice to be able to still fight with those extra however many yards. Probably doesn’t make much difference in your case though, with 300 yards going on.

Also, 40inchreds has a good point about leaving the extra space should you ever want to do a top shot. I like a top shot on my rigs for the most part. It helps stop the braid from wrapping the float if I’m fishing on top, and I like it for my slider or egg sinker if I’m fishing the bottom. The only time it wouldn’t be helpful is if you’re just bottom fishing with a chicken rig or something. Then I like to just tie the braid straight to a snap swivel.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18
Conchfish 178 build in progress…

Good information-thanks to all. I am spooling a 6000 spinning reel to try to catch tarpon and I like the ideal of top shot with some heavy mono. What sizes/ # mono would you top shot and would you suggest using a swivel to tie the braid and mono together?.? Trying something new and no knowledge- sorry for all the follow up question. Thanks, Larry

01 Scout 177 w/ 150 hpdi

Another thing to consider is that the knot where you join the mono to braid can catch the line as it leaves the spool causing it to stop and break. For that reason, I don’t like using different backing material personally.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

IF YOU ARE JUST LOOKING TO FILL SPOOL FOR CASTING PURPOSES I USE BLACK PLASTIC ELECTRICAL TAPE ; BUILD IT UP TO DESIRED DEPTH THEN ADD YOUR BRAID. THE TAPE LAYS WELL AND WON’T SPIN ON SPOOL ; EASY TO REMOVE AND CLEAN UP IF NEEDED…GO CATCH EM UP AND POST PICS , CAUSE NO PICS IT DIDN’T HAPPEN :smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I use 20 lb mono. Id rather have the extra line than just waste the space filling it with electrical tape.

Capt. R. Killin
21 Contender “Killin Time”

Use something like a fg and 50lb topshot to a swivel and 80# leader or heavy braid like 80# or higher for your topshot. I can cast heavy braid way better then heavy mono.