Backyard Shrimping

9/30 Update:
We continue to catch large shrimps in good numbers off of our dock in a very small tidal creek. Numbers continue to amaze us and the recent weather seems to have no effect on them. The practice of culling seems to be paying off as well. Plenty of bait-sized shrimp and big ones for eating. I have a feeling that Hurricane Joaquin is going to mess things up a bit. Be careful out there!

We have been catching a lot of very nice shrimp since the middle of August in the creek behind our house. We have been pleased as to the number and size so early in the year. Last night we shrimped for a little over an hour and caught about 8-9 dozen medium for fishing this weekend and about 4 dozen very large ones for eating tonight. The biggest shrimp came in just before high tide and some were as large as a beer can for a mental picture.

We have always had shrimp in the creek, but this year the numbers and sizes are better than ever. We are way up the creek from the ocean, so I would presume that folks will find large numbers and good sizes this year closer to the ocean. We are near the Toogoodoo if that helps anyone.

Be careful out there, mind your manners, and full coolers to all.

Very nice. Headed to Beaufort next weekend to try shrimping for the first time ever. As well as flounder gigging. Hoping for a good experience. Good luck this weekend. Tight lines and bent rods.

Good to hear. I’ll be in Hunting Island in 3 weeks for the first time shrimping for 4 days as well.

Anyone want to offer any tips for that area, otherwise I’ll just follow the crowd.:smiley:

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I forgot to mention that are extremely picky with what we keep at this time and release back two to three times what we keep. I believe it pays off in the long run based on what we are catching now. Nothing scientific, it just seems to work for us.

quote:
Originally posted by redfish4sure

We have been catching a lot of very nice shrimp since the middle of August in the creek behind our house. We have been pleased as to the number and size so early in the year. Last night we shrimped for a little over an hour and caught about 8-9 dozen medium for fishing this weekend and about 4 dozen very large ones for eating tonight. The biggest shrimp came in just before high tide and some were as large as a beer can for a mental picture.

We have always had shrimp in the creek, but this year the numbers and sizes are better than ever. We are way up the creek from the ocean, so I would presume that folks will find large numbers and good sizes this year closer to the ocean. We are near the Toogoodoo if that helps anyone.

Be careful out there, mind your manners, and full coolers to all.

I was in Murrells Inlet last week and caught a couple of pounds of small-medium creek shrimp free casting. Baited near the jetties on Friday afternoon and did not catch one shrimp. We had lots of rain last week. Hopefully the fresh water will have cleared out for you.