Bait store woes 12/22

2nd time in as many trips, my fishing partners and I had to wait outside the bait store, during “open hours”, for the attendant to arrive. This time he didn’t arrive, so we left at 7:30am. And we didnt have bait, and therefore we didnt go out on the boat as planned to catch some striper. There were also two other fishermen there waiting to get bait as well. I am not going to name names, but it was very disappointing and quite infuriating. Some of you maybe thinking about how windy it was out there, and probably not the best day to be out on the lake, but I was in town from Charleston, so its not everyday I get to go striper fishing.

However, there is a silver lining to this story. We ended up going to Saluda Shoals to fish the bank of the river. I was fishing a white sluggo, and my bro in law using a whitebody/red head rapala. I did not have any luck, but my bro in law caught his personal best brown trout which was a fat 21"er on the rapala. It was unexpected to say the least. Saluda shoals is a great park and we had a blast walking the river.

So, I want to thank that unnamed attendant for showing up to his place of business at least an hour and a half late, and giving us the opportunity to catch a personal best fish in a really pretty place. Having said that, it is a very unprofessional way of doing business. I hope this doesnt happen again, to me or to anyone.

If your were fishing the saluda river I am guessing you were at Ned’s or lake world. Ned is closed till march 15th I think it is (he had a sign up saying that, but may have blown down) and lake world is closed on Mondays or it might be Tuesdays. Either way congrats on the trout. We caught 2 4#er’s back in July down there. One a brown the other a bow. I went sat/sun for trout had some luck but lost alot trying to get them to the kayak…

It still gets my blood boiling that we can catch 5 trout throw them on the bank to die and it is perfectly legal. But I can’t catch 1 and put a 8/0 hook in it’s nose to die…

Oh and by the way guess it’s new but only 1 of your 5 trout can be over 16"…

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Lake World answered the phone this morning when I called them … and he said they have herring soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish now!!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Nice to see you at least had a bright spot on an otherwise aggrivating day. That’s a nice fish for the Saluda! You got a pic??

Not sure where I saw it, but I was reading something recently where DNR reported that they are seeing more and more hold over trout from year to year these days.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

Good for the trout, but that probably means there are less trophy stripers eating them.

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

It also could be that there is more water in the river the last couple yrs as well. A long with people catching and releasing them instead of frying up a small trout that you can barley get any meat off.

Tom I heard from a pretty reliable source that 2 40# class fish were caught this summer by the same person. Also heard he may or may not have been using herring…:stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t wait for the summer to try for them. This will be my first summer in the river fishing for stripes. Hopefully I can keep a bait pen hid well enough down there to keep some big baits in. No way I can keep water cold enough at home to keep them alive. And I am talking shad not trout. I couldn’t afford to be caught with one on a hook. I am sure they would make an example out of the first person they catch.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

I don’t use them, but I thought you can use trout for bait as long you caught them in the river?

FS90 Suzuki

AMENDED, READ THE SECOND TIME
S. 304 (Word version) – Senators Shealy, Cromer and Campsen: A BILL TO AMEND SECTIONS 50-13-10, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO CERTAIN TERMS AND THEIR DEFINITIONS REGARDING GENERAL RESTRICTIONS ON FRESHWATER FISHING, SO AS TO MAKE A TECHNICAL CHANGE AND TO REVISE THE DEFINITION OF THE TERM “BAIT FISH”; TO AMEND SECTION 50-13-60, AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE LAWFUL POSSESSION OF FISH, SO AS TO MAKE A TECHNICAL CHANGE TO THE PROVISION RELATING TO THE POSSESSION OF A GAME FISH; TO AMEND SECTIONS 50-13-200, 50-13-210, 50-13-250, 50-13-260, AND 50-13-270, ALL AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE PROTECTION OF FRESHWATER GAME FISH, SO AS TO REVISE THE AGE OF PERSONS IN A BOAT THAT MAY USE AN UNLIMITED NUMBER OF FISHING DEVICES, TO REVISE THE NUMBER OF TROUT THAT MAY BE TAKEN ON THE LOWER REACH OF THE SALUDA RIVER, TO PROVIDE THE LEGAL LENGTH OF SMALLMOUTH BASS THAT MAY BE TAKEN FROM CERTAIN LAKES, RIVERS, AND RESERVOIRS ALONG THE STATE’S WESTERN REGION, AND TO MAKE A TECHNICAL CHANGE; TO AMEND SECTION 50-13-620, 50-13-625, AND 50-13-635, ALL AS AMENDED, RELATING TO THE PROTECTION OF NONGAME FISH, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A COMMERCIAL TROTLINE WHICH USES FIFTY OR FEWER HOOKS MUST BE MARKED AT INTERVALS OF TWENTY-FIVE HOOKS, TO REVISE THE AGE OF PERSONS IN A BOAT THAT MAY USE AN UNLIMITED NUMBER OF FISHING DEVICES, AND TO REVISE THE NUMBER OF SET HOOKS A RECREATIONAL FISHERMAN MAY USE.
The Senate proceeded to a consideration of the Bill, the question being the second reading of the Bill.
Senators CAMPSEN, CORBIN, TURNER and SHEALY proposed the following amendment (304R003.GEC), which was adopted:
Amend the bill, as and if amended, by striking SECTION 1 and SECTION 2 and inserting:
/ SECTION 1. Section 50-13-10(B)(1), as last amended by Act 113 of 2012, is further amended to read:
"(B) Miscellaneous definitions:
(1) ‘Bait fish’ means a fish allowed to be used as bait in the freshwaters including: Asian clams (Corbicula spp.), crayfish, eels, herring, shad, and fathea

Good to see we can at least still use Asian Clams…

FS90 Suzuki