Bait Tanks

quote:
Originally posted by The AQ

Key to success is oxygen, and ice. Keep the herring real cold recirculate, and if you add oxygen you catch more fish, cause the bait goes crazy!!! It’s just more expensive. However if you look at how the system works, you can rig your own for cheap and get medical oxygen. IT WORKS!

Wellcraft V20, 175 Yamaha

just don’t use ice that’s made from chlorinated water. for some strange reason, herring don’t like chlorine! i use only the ice from my fridge ice maker which has one of those little filters on it.

Just wondered, could you just use an oxygen bottle hooked up to an air stone. Or is that too simple?

oxygen bottle with an airstone works fine

Oxygen bubbles are like herring crack!

Back when i got to and we had some fish down here[moult}…I always found that the cooler the water the better…We never had anything other than a tank in the boat[no areator or nothing} rookies i guess you could say…it was hot one day and the bait was looking poor…son in law{feeling sorry for them} put a bag of ice in the water…they perked right up and from then on just keep them cool…seemed to work fine…now adays we have all these areators and bait tanks built in…but the old way still works if we fish with someone that doesnt have…last night there was two guys with a hang over the side bait basket…they would catch a few baits put um in the basket fish awhile and catch some more…but i guess that dont work it you buying bait and tranporting it…everyone has there on way…but cool is better

CUDADAWG,
The melting ice releases oxygen into the water as well as cooling it.

I’d rather fish than eat.

I put a KEEPALIVE in my 15gal tank on my boat and it works great. Take a frozen bottle of water and put it inside along with a little shad keeper from BPS, about 1/3 cup of ice cream salt and you should be good. You dont want your water to be too much colder than the water you are fishing or it will stun them. Try to mount the Keepalive so it swirls the water in a circular motion.

Someone here replied last year that they just dropped one of those $15 cheapies with the suction cups on the bottom, into their live well. I tried it and it works pretty good. I replaced the spray tube with another and drilled holes down the side. I put it in the corner of my live well and the holes create a swirling action. Your Angler should have a live well tank similar to my Key West. You need to keep them cool tho…

a large cooler with rounded corners and two of the cheap air pumps with the stone for the air to come out work fine. I have kept three dozen alive for a day or two and all still frisky.

this year i bought a 2006 model from cabelas that works great and is half the price of a new one. could get on line and see if they have any left.

216CC Tidewater
150 Yamaha

Now for the most important question - should the water swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise ?? :smiley:

Depends if you are in the North or South Hemisphere.

up and works better.

Sharky,
Have you been catching any? Seems like people have been getting some better fish mid lake.

ven’t been in a while.been working alot.the tornado that hit prosperity has been keeping me busy.i hate to get work that way but i didn’t cause it.

Well, I am sure the people that need the work appreciate it being done. I have not gone in a few weeks.