Bait Tanks

The thrill of killing herring in a 5 gallon bucket is starting to wear off. Does anyone know of a realatively cheap bait tank (under 200 dollars) that holds 20-30 gallons and that will actually keep herring alive for the day?

TexasAngler
180F Angler

They are SOOO easy to kill, huh?

Pioneer 197

quote:
Originally posted by TexasAngler

The thrill of killing herring in a 5 gallon bucket is starting to wear off. Does anyone know of a realatively cheap bait tank (under 200 dollars) that holds 20-30 gallons and that will actually keep herring alive for the day?

TexasAngler
180F Angler

steelytom uses a square insulated cooler with a keep alive aerator. we’ve kept 4 dozen alive for over 12 hours…well…considering of course that the actual number of herring decreases as we fish. if you do that cooler route, drill a hole through the cooler for the air hose, it has a tendency to drop down into the water. works great. i’ll do this myself on my next boat. i like how the water stays cool given the insulation.

phishinphan,

How big of a cooler are you using? Ive heard that the herring dont like the square tanks since they run into the corners and eventually kill themselves. But if its working for you I was thinking about giving this a try:

http://www.longerlifebaitkits.com/

If this thing works its definately cheaper than a fiberglass tank.

TexasAngler
180F Angler

boaters world has an oval shaped tank for under a 100$.then go to wally world and buy the 750gph aerator.and fit it with pvc.and you have a bait tank.everything is less 150$.takes about an hour to assemble.

anyone have a product (for instance battery operated submersible bubbler that I could drop into my boat’s tank? I know it exists because I have seen it and it runs on batteries and you suction cup it to the inside of your bait well, but I can’t find it now!

Pioneer 197

walmart and sportsman warehouse has them.

I know everyone says that the tank has to be round, but I have never had trouble with my cooler system. The corners are kind of rounded, so maybe that helps. I had the pump and pvc spray bar and it did not work as good. I got the keep alive pump and it has been great. The cooler is not that big either. I don’t know the size but it is the square one with that had the handle that pulled up. They sell them at walmart. Key is to keep the scales cleaned off the sponge if you keep a lot in there. I think the entire think cost me $60.

sorry double post

quote:
Originally posted by jpru2001
quote:
Originally posted by sharky

walmart and sportsman warehouse has them.

I am not talking about those little bubble boxes, its a little deal (maybe it floats) with a filter and everything rated for like 30 gallons or something. I bookmarked the page to buy one on the internet on a computer where the mozilla program went bye bye and now I can’t find it.

Pioneer 197

Pioneer 197

i’m not talking about hte little bubble boxes either.i am talking about the one that stick to the bottom of the tank with the tube that runs about sixteen inches.they also have the clips that hook to the battery and a filter at the bottom.

Steelytom,

Are you running both the bubbler and the bilge type pump that sprays as well?

TexasAngler
180F Angler

quote:

Steelytom,

TexasAngler
180F Angler

i bought a keep alive 14 gallon live well from sportsmans warehouse for $150 or so. works fine most of the time, but in the summer the water gets a little warm. the insulated ones are still less than $200. 4 dozen is about the limit in it. 3 dozen does fine for a long time.

i think tom’s cooler is a 50 quart. it’s one of those square ones with the 4 cup holders on it. and he uses the keep alive aerator pump. i think they are $30 or so.

Go talk to Richard at lake world. He has plenty of tanks in stock and can help you choose one that is right for you.

No, i took out the spraybar system and put in the keepalive system from Sportsman Supply. I think I have the 700. Money is tight in my house so I have to cut corners on fishing to pay for formula and diapers. I have 10 month old twins that eat and poop a lot, lol. http://www.keepalive.net/portable.htm

quote:

Steelytom,

TexasAngler
180F Angler

It is a 60 qt cooler

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up dropping the money and going with an insulated 20 gallon keepalive bait tank and pump. If they die now I have no excuse.

TexasAngler
180F Angler

quote:

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up dropping the money and going with an insulated 20 gallon keepalive bait tank and pump. If they die now I have no excuse.

TexasAngler
180F Angler

you’ll be please with that system. they are sweet. where’d you score it and how much? i might upgrade soon is why i ask.

Got it from Port-tronics inn Greenville for 250 which I thought was a good deal from what ive seen on the internet.

TexasAngler
180F Angler

Key to success is oxygen, and ice. Keep the herring real cold recirculate, and if you add oxygen you catch more fish, cause the bait goes crazy!!! It’s just more expensive. However if you look at how the system works, you can rig your own for cheap and get medical oxygen. IT WORKS!

Wellcraft V20, 175 Yamaha