Bathroom remodel

Do it yourself or not?
What needs to be done is gutted to the studs and replace standing shower stall, tub and replace top and sinks of counter.
I’ve done a little of this and a little of that in the past working when I was younger but it has been a long time. I was always a lot better at Demo then finishing so I may do that part of it and then hand it over. What would you do and does anyone on here do bathroom remodels?

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

Call jstrange. He’s the resident expert and does excellent work.

Samantha and I redid a whole house about two years ago and left the bathroom/kitchen stuff to the pros. I’ve got a piece of granite if you are looking for a sink top too. Just needs to be cut. For reel, it’s yours if you want it. Deep Greenish color.

I do as much stuff as I can myself and then let the pros do the things I can’t. You could easily take it down to the studs yourself. I’m not confident in your tournament abilities, but you can easily do this. That way, when getting quotes the contractor would know exactly what he’s dealing with. Sometimes there are hidden fees associated with what they think they might find. Depending on if you’ve ever had a leak or not, there may or may not be rotten wood that needs to be replaced. Get the walls down and there no surprises.

If you are replacing the floors, do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks to get the heated elements under the tile…oh man that’s a nice winter time luxury and doesn’t cost a whole lot more if you are already doing the floors.

As always, without pictures, there was never a bathroom remodel.

Boom.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Oh and, get a written estimate and time of completion from any contractor you hire. They won’t stick to it, but it’ll make you feel better to throw it back in their faces when they are on week two of a three day job.

quote:
I'm not confident in your tournament abilities

unprovoked.

i hope he thrashes the costas off your head.

I’m not joking. I will come to Micky D’s and stick your head under the soft serve ice cream machine until you cry for mama.

Check your bildges, day old mullet will be there when you least expect it, know that.

Fritz, I’m knee deep in a bathroom remodel myself in a foreclosure we just bought. The tub was fine but the shower walls over the tub were pathetic and done very poorly. I knocked the sheetrock out from around the shower and put a “to the studs” fiberglass shower surround over the tub.

I am tossing the trashed bathroom vanity and building a new vanity set and new countertop. Putting in a 3-drawer cabinet, sink base cabinet, and a clothes hamper cabinet with a laminate top. I can do all this myself since I’m a cabinet maker. If you need a custom built vanity, send me a PM and I’ll put you in contact with our sales rep (I am not able to do anything “on the side” at the moment or I’d offer to do it myself). We’re a locally owned shop in North Charleston. If you buy a manufactured cabinet at Lowes and need a hand installing it, send me a PM.

I’m texturing the walls with rolled texture, re-installing the toilet, replacing all the water supply valves, putting in a new sink/faucet, putting a nice wooden frame around the mirror, new base and shoe mold, and repaint.

By the way, I HIGHLY recommend for wall paint that you use a product from Sherwin Williams called “Pro Industrial Precatalyzed Waterbase Epoxy”. That sounds like some exotic paint, but it paints just as easy as latex. I use it in my bathrooms both at work and home.

They sell it at the Rivers Ave branch for sure, go with “semi-gloss” for durability, or eggshell if you are light-n-dainty with your bathroom use.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

And for what it’s worth, my bathroom is a normal sized “family bath”, and it’s a LOT of work if you’re actively living in it.

If you can afford to sub it out, I suggest that. But DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT just willy-nilly pick a smooth-talking guy that sounds like a whizbang.

Get at least 3 quotes and ask for references. Keep in mind, as a cabinet maker, I see a LOT of homeowners who have been screwed by jackleg scum. We installed cabinets in a woman’s house yesterday who was screwed by someone she paid a deposit to for kitchen cabinets, but didn’t have a written contract because “he had done other work for us and seemed good”. I felt so bad for them because these were very good people that got screwed.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

There are a ton of fly-by-night “handyman” companies out there that do this type of work. Personally, don’t like strangers in my home. I prefer to do it myself whenever possible. If you have any aptitude or ability at all, it should not be a problem. More time consuming, yes, because you don’t do it everyday. Cheaper, more than likely, if you take your time.

And remember…You can rent most of the tools that you need from Hughes Downtown or True Value, i.e., tile saw and PEX tool.

Usually when I get into something that I’ve never done, or haven’t done in a long time, I get on youtube and do some research first.

Narcosis

Time is going to be your enemy on that job. For the most part its all basic labor work. I have done everything from A - Z and its not rocket science. It will just take you longer than the so called experts. No offence to those of you who do that for a living, there are people out there who need you. But you will save money. Narcosis is right rent all the tools and look things up on you tube. And if it takes to long for your wife it might be the last time she asks you to do something like that.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

LOL…Fritz married…