BB Monday day: Dolphin buffet

Watched the RADAR for while a this AM and decided to give it a try. Set up inside white bank, about 10 AM w/ about 1.5 hours incoming left. Barely covered the bottom of basket on each run until even less at slack tide. Started to pick up with the outgoing until Flipper showed up. Multiple of them, running poles constantly. My vote in this discussion is that when flipper shows up, they eat the shrimp and/or move the bait or both…2-3 shrimp/cast after flipper… Size was mixed, but mostly large. Total a few pounds.
Hope to be on CB Tuesday night.

quote:
Originally posted by doclevin

Watched the RADAR for while a this AM and decided to give it a try. Set up inside white bank, about 10 AM w/ about 1.5 hours incoming left. Barely covered the bottom of basket on each run until even less at slack tide. Started to pick up with the outgoing until Flipper showed up. Multiple of them, running poles constantly. My vote in this discussion is that when flipper shows up, they eat the shrimp and/or move the bait or both…2-3 shrimp/cast after flipper… Size was mixed, but mostly large. Total a few pounds.
Hope to be on CB Tuesday night.

21 SeaPro Bay Boat

“That’s why they call it fishin, not Catchin”

I think the phins are eating the big shrimp on the bait as well as the croakers and other fish hanging around the area. I'm sure they also mess up the bait with the power of their tails.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

And certainly a powerful stroke from their tails would run all the shrimp off.

I tend to re-bait if there is plenty of tide left and I had shrimp and flipper comes in. I back off let them do their thing have a beer or two. I will make 2-3 new patties per pole or for the poles that were producing. Typically the shrimp will pick back up after the dolphins fill their bellies.

This season I have been doing way better throwing the deep hole net in 15-20’ of water. Filled a 3 gallon bucket yesterday getting bait. Went and fished then took the rest home for dinner.

Thanks guys, we were time limited, so only had another hour we could have stayed. Since shrimp weren’t heavy before the dolphin showed up, we just decided to call it a day. I think when the shrimp are plentiful, the dolphin don’t make a big difference, re-baiting after they leave usually does get them back on the poles as long as you have time, beer and more bait.

21 SeaPro Bay Boat

“That’s why they call it fishin, not Catchin”

The same thing happened to us on Saturday 10/7 afternoon in the south end . The tide turned at 4:00 ish and we put a few test balls out. It started to look good so we baited up . Started to get shrimps when the pack of marauding flippers showed up. We couldn’t scare them off an just tried to run the poles that were away from them . No luck bait was scattered, everything turned off and we were done. Packed it up as it got darkish and rode back to Charleston.

Capt. Pete
Bushwacker