Beach kayak fishing...Waste of time?

Ok so for the past few months I have wanted to find a place to put my yak in and try to paddle out a couple hundred yards to fish for some bonnetheads, or some of the big bruiser reds in the yak…or do you not have to go out that far? What could I catch trolling lures, or floating some live bait offshore in the yak. Also is there any reefs close enough to a beach to yak fish in?

why not just surf fish?

www.kayakfishsc.com
Give Tommy a call and he will take care of you!!

quote:
Originally posted by loophole

why not just surf fish?

I do that alot but you can't really troll for fish and I am wanting to go past surf fishing distance.

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

If the water cleans up on the beach, you should have a shot at kings (big spanish too) just out of the surf zone. Slow troll a menhaden or big mullet, or put on a drone spoon or yozuri. The kayak also puts you in position to catch big reds off the beach along some of the barrier islands. Just like surf fishing, start at lower tide, look for the sloughs and fish the rise. Or look for birds and activity. Nothing more fun to me than a 40+ inch red pulling the kayak around.

quote:
Originally posted by jtsnake

If the water cleans up on the beach, you should have a shot at kings (big spanish too) just out of the surf zone. Slow troll a menhaden or big mullet, or put on a drone spoon or yozuri. The kayak also puts you in position to catch big reds off the beach along some of the barrier islands. Just like surf fishing, start at lower tide, look for the sloughs and fish the rise. Or look for birds and activity. Nothing more fun to me than a 40+ inch red pulling the kayak around.

Cool man thx for the input. I do agree it would be awesome to catch a monster red on a yak!

RM - Out of curiosity, I was reading some posts on the surf fishing thread and thought it was interesting that people use their yaks to carry their bottom-rigged bait out further than they can cast. Maybe that’s a common knowledge thing but was a new concept to me (and made a lot of sense).

Might be fun to hook a big fish and get pulled around the bay!

ej
20’ 2008 Key West 2020CC Bluewater
Looking for a trade on a bay boat…

quote:
Originally posted by RiverMonster

Ok so for the past few months I have wanted to find a place to put my yak in and try to paddle out a couple hundred yards to fish for some bonnetheads, or some of the big bruiser reds in the yak…or do you not have to go out that far? What could I catch trolling lures, or floating some live bait offshore in the yak. Also is there any reefs close enough to a beach to yak fish in?

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

You all do realize if you are fishing the right goegraphy of the beach you don’t need to cast more than like 20 feet right? The guys who run their baits out 200 yards are the guys where the drop off and sloughs are that far out… Getting a sleigh ride from a big red is a ton of fun, been there done that, but remember… you are off the beach… If he decides to run out to his home at the Charleston 60 you can get yourself in trouble REAL quick… Ther are also enough big and I mean BIG sharks off our beaches that while you will get the sleigh ride of your life can get nasty quick. Make dang sure you have a waterproof VHF radio tuned to Ch 16 because it sounds like you won’t be happy until you are getting yourself into trouble off the beach… If I am not wrong you do not have a lot of kayak fishing experience… If I am right you may want to stick to inshore river and creek fishing until you get a little more experience, practice your deep water re-entry until you can do it in your sleep, once you get beyond the breakers there is a WHOLE new set of rules that get added to kayak fishing… good luck and make sure you file a float plan so they know where to start looking for you…

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

Nikonjedi
Yeah I have just been thinking about. I think I will stick to the creeks. Probly more my speed anyway. I was kinda worried about doing after I read that topic that pictured a hammer head going after the tarpon. That would scare the crap outta me.

My biggest fear is getting flipped by a big fish - maybe he ducks under the kayak and decides to run. I thought about this when I had a red go under the side of the kayak and the rod doubled over, causing the stability of the kayak to diminish quickly until my body compensated. That was a 25" red - I couldn’t fathom that happening with a 5’ shark. I’m gonna stick to inshore for now :slight_smile:

–elgeebee–
WS Ride 135

Rivermonster was that you out swimming off your yak at the Fort saturday morning?

Matt
15’ War Eagle w/60 Evin.

Give me a shout next spring and we can set up some BTB fun. In the meanwhile there are some high quality sleigh rides available inshore. Don’t even think about BTB if you aren’t up to speed on deep water re-entry. The time of year is also rapidly approaching when you have to decide to gear up for cold weather or store the yak until spring. Here’s an article from last fall to help with gearing up for the cold days to come. If you aren’t sure whether or not to dress for cold; use the 120 degree rule. When Air temp + Water temp < 120 degrees YOU NEED THERMAL PROTECTION

http://kayakfishsc.com/2010/11/gearing-up-for-cold-weather/

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

quote:
Originally posted by bubbbie

Rivermonster was that you out swimming off your yak at the Fort saturday morning?

Matt
15’ War Eagle w/60 Evin.

Haha no I was up in bushy!

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

Give me a shout next spring and we can set up some BTB fun. In the meanwhile there are some high quality sleigh rides available inshore. Don’t even think about BTB if you aren’t up to speed on deep water re-entry. The time of year is also rapidly approaching when you have to decide to gear up for cold weather or store the yak until spring. Here’s an article from last fall to help with gearing up for the cold days to come. If you aren’t sure whether or not to dress for cold; use the 120 degree rule. When Air temp + Water temp < 120 degrees YOU NEED THERMAL PROTECTION

http://kayakfishsc.com/2010/11/gearing-up-for-cold-weather/

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

Thanks for the article! And I did see your vid on youtube about re-entry. Thanks for da help!:smiley: