Beaufort/port royal deep hole shrimping

Hello everyone. I am new to the area and put in the boat at sands beach. I have been deep hole shrimping over by lemon island and grandfather flats with decent results the past couple weekends but i am tired of running over there. Are there any deep hole spots by port royal/beaufort? I am not asking for exact locations just curious if people shrimp succesfully in the area (unless you want to tell me i would appreciate it). I have looked at some maps and there seem to be some deeper holes and would go check them out if anyone has had any luck in the area recently. Thank you

1 Like

Hello and welcome back to the forum. If it were me, I’d just go try those spots you found on the maps. Make sure to try on the rising and falling tides. Maybe someone will shoot you a pm with some actual answers too. Good luck, come back to report your success!

2 Likes

Hang a right into Battery Creek. Go under the bridge and take the right fork. All of the best shrimping is on your left side coming in on the other side of the docks. Most of that is not deep hole but have had very good success without poles. If you go past the sandbar there are some deep holes near the mouth of the feeder creeks.

3 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Andrew - I attempted some deep hole shrimping around the mouth of Colleton River this past weekend as well as up in Chechessee Creek and had no luck. Caught lots of small bait fish but very few shrimp. I must not be marking the correct things on the bottom. I’ll admit I’m a novice to deep hole shrimping but have been baiting for shrimp since before they put a season on it.

2 Likes

How deep can you “deep hole” with a regular cast net? The wife and I were out today and decided to see how deep the hole near morgan’s island is. It is not very large, maybe the footprint of a house. It is 48 feet deep with near vertical sides. While we were easing around over it we could see a great deal of what I will call biomass on the bottom. This led me to believe there was/is a boat load of shrimp down there.

If I throw my shrimp net over this hole, will it stay open on the way to the bottom?
Thanks

1 Like

Probably not without adding some tape and making your own deephole net…
How to Duct Tape a Deep Hole Cast Net - YouTube

2 Likes

I threw a standard 6 foot net off my dock at low tide ( 20 ft) and brought up a few shrimp, not many but they were x large. This was a while back and I don’t think it was very open when it hit.

1 Like

Went out shrimping yesterday at high tide at 11 am which I know was a terrible time but had to be home at 5. I went up battery creek under the bridge and made a right at the fork and followed that creek a mile or two looking for deep holes. In locations I thought I marked shrimp made a few casts but honestly I did not see much on the fish finder. I caught 60 or good sized shrimp on probably 10 casts total. So it was a waste but I had enough shrimp to fish with but that also sucked. I was curious if anyone had shrimp baited in the area between sands beach and the battery creek bridge where the boats moor by the fish camp restaurant? On the map it looks like a pretty flat wide area between 6 and 10 feet and next to a large marsh area. Anyhow I think I will try shrimp baiting that area next sunday as low tide looks like it will be around 10 am. Thank you

1 Like

If you caught any shrimp at all on a high tide you did great. It was a 9 ft tide so all the shrimp were in the marsh. Also why are you trying to deep hole this time of year ? The shrimp are usually from right at the bank out to about 6 ft of water. There are only a few places to catch fish around here on a high tide at least for me that is. I`ll try to do a google map snap shot anf show you some places that might help

Good afternoon. Thank you. I appreciate the help. New to fishing in the area so trying to learn.

If you look at the first skinny arrow there is a creek mouth. You have to watch where you throw because of the oysters . At the right falling tide ( about the last hour or so) you can just about stay right there and catch shrimp just about every cast. The area between the small and larger arrow is good to drift at any of the lower tides and cast. Sometimes they are close to the bank and sometimes 6-10 off the bank. If you`re looking to meat fish, there is very good whiting fishing near the large arrow. Fish towards the middle. Back to the small arrow, across the creek there is good trout fishing . Go back away from the docks towards the way you came in. I slow troll there as well as cork and bottom fish.

1 Like

This is the area is is good to troll until you find them or just drift and cast. Live shrimp on a cork is good. I usually have one line behind the boat and cast the other upstream and let it go with the current. If you anchor near one of the small creeks put one on the bottom as well. All of this is for lower tides. When you’re out scouting during low tides, look for flats with deep cuts in them that go to deep water quickly. These will be the best high tide places. Anchor in the deep part on a high but falling tide and cast onto the flats with a popping cork. Good luck and let us hear how you do.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it. I will be out there this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thank you

1 Like

Good afternoon. I went out shrimping Saturday in Beaufort. I got out a little late after low tide (crew bailed on me). So due to the late start and lack of man power I did not do too well but did get shrimp. I got a gallon of cleaned shrimp with about 20 casts. There was another boat in the area and I asked them how they were doing and they said pretty good so the shrimp were there. I was in to much pain to go out Sunday. I am recovered now and will try again next Friday or Sunday, hopefully with crew. If anyone wants to go with me please let me know but you have to be willing to take turns throwing the cast net.

1 Like