Beginner Rod/Reel

I recently went to a fly fishing class at the Charleston Angler. By the end of the day, I was able to shoot line. Tried it at home with Scientific Angler’s rod/reel combo I picked up for about 70 bucks off Amazon–no luck. At the class, we were using Temple Fork Outfitters rods and Orvis Clearwater reels. I guess it’s not like spinning gear where I can use something for 20 bucks and catch fish. Does anyone have a good entry level saltwater rod or reel recommendation? Thanks for the insight!

We stock both the TFO Combo for $225. Also the Redington Path combos for $189 but we are currently out of this one. Both are great combos and will get you started fly fishing the Lowcountry.

HADDRELL’S POINT TACKLE & SUPPLY
Your Complete Sportfishing Center
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.facebook.com/Haddrells.Point

Thank you, I will check that out. In your opinion, would a Clearwater reel be an upgrade from the one included in the TFO combo?

You might find that your current rod will perform much better with a different line. Your reel isn’t as important as a good quality Weight Forward line in a size (weight) that matches the strength and action of your rod. Definitely recommend going to a local shop with your current gear, Lowcountry Fly Shop, Haddrells, Charleston Angler and try some different rod/ line setups. But to answer your question, TFO, Reddington, Allen Fly Fishing all make good rods/reels for their respective price points. Good luck

Thanks so much for the insight. Hopefully I’ll be posting a report soon enough