Beginner surf fishing set up?

Will do. Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by SCaveNJ
quote:
Originally posted by FishingDuo

Somewhere in this forum dparker made a beginners guide to finding spots for surf fishing. If you can find that you are golden.

I’ve spent about 45 minutes trying to track this down. Anyone happen to have a link to the thread? I’m sure I’d learn a lot. Thanks.

Sorry, We had a very frustrating troll last year that, surprisingly, I let get under my skin. I’m about as laid back as they come, BUT THIS GUY WAS…RELENTLESS! I hacked a few of my older posts. :angry: I will put together a BETTER one if you’d like.

And the Rich Trox video is spot on!

AVET MXL raptor and 12’ mojo all day. Not cheap, but heres what I can say about “cheap gear” if you KNOW youll get into this… dont waste your time with it. Barely resells, heavy as can be, and youll have to spend the money later on. Makaira 10 SEA would be a good alternative as well.

For more reports and photos follow us on http://instagram.com/requiemfishing

I just watched the Rich Trox videos - great stuff! I know I’ve been “that guy” that just walks onto the beach and sticks a sand spike any old place without much thought. Those tips will certainly help. We are going to be camping at Edisto Beach State Park this weekend, so I will get some time to practice my beach reading skills. Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by stanjwarren

AVET MXL raptor and 12’ mojo all day. Not cheap, but heres what I can say about “cheap gear” if you KNOW youll get into this… dont waste your time with it. Barely resells, heavy as can be, and youll have to spend the money later on. Makaira 10 SEA would be a good alternative as well.

After living off of walmart rods through much of my teenage years, I can certainly attest to this. I had to buy a new rod every six months, but now I just buy St. Croix and Penn/Shimano reels (the walmart reels are even worse). It may be a little more pricey, but when you have to buy a new set up every season, the price will even out and save you money. Long story short, don’t trust anything walmart tells you.

SCaveNJ, Reading the beach is critical to catching fish, A good spot doesnt guarantee fish but improves your odds, some other things to think about and look for are tides- you want water to be moving comimg or going, doesnt matter generally at exactly low tide and high tide things slow for a bit but once water stars moving again things pick up, also look for bait jumping, birds diving into water, NE winds can be challenging to catch fish especially when strong they will blow lines back to beach, personally im also not a big fan of full moons they bring in real high tides and when they move back out they carry dirt, grass and muck up the water- I dont like “dirty water” . Use decent quality rods, reels, tackle, surf carts are fantastic, whatever fits budget. Shrimp is a good bait to catch smaller fish on small rods then you cut them up and cast out on bigger rods for reds or sharks. Reds I like 30ld test with a 50 ld liter, sharks the sky is the limit beef up everything they get huge. Your effort spending 45 min looking up Mr Parkers post is smart. Read a book or two, look at videos online theres one for everything, shop for gear at local tackle shops and when you buy from them they will help with advice unlike walmart, dont be afraid to ask. Use the forum most people willing to help out as long as someone is willing to help themselves. The sharks will eat anything and the reds will hit most stuff as well- but mullet is king during the fall. Target whats in season and that helps too. Its starting to cool down a bit so thats good for reds. A general time to target them is from labor day to thanksgiving, but closer to october is better. Frozen bait comes off hooks easier-so I like fresh. Put your time in on the beach , dont expect to catch fish every time sometimes they are just not there, I hope this helps and wish you good luck out at Edisto, its looking like NE winds again this weekend- but ya never know, wash your rods off every time after fishing and never lay in sand or water. Im also big fan of st croix rods

quote:
Originally posted by runbabyrun

SCaveNJ, Reading the beach is critical to catching fish, A good spot doesnt guarantee fish but improves your odds, some other things to think about and look for are tides- you want water to be moving comimg or going, doesnt matter generally at exactly low tide and high tide things slow for a bit but once water stars moving again things pick up, also look for bait jumping, birds diving into water, NE winds can be challenging to catch fish especially when strong they will blow lines back to beach, personally im also not a big fan of full moons they bring in real high tides and when they move back out they carry dirt, grass and muck up the water- I dont like “dirty water” . Use decent quality rods, reels, tackle, surf carts are fantastic, whatever fits budget. Shrimp is a good bait to catch smaller fish on small rods then you cut them up and cast out on bigger rods for reds or sharks. Reds I like 30ld test with a 50 ld liter, sharks the sky is the limit beef up everything they get huge. Your effort spending 45 min looking up Mr Parkers post is smart. Read a book or two, look at videos online theres one for everything, shop for gear at local tackle shops and when you buy from them they will help with advice unlike walmart, dont be afraid to ask. Use the forum most people willing to help out as long as someone is willing to help themselves. The sharks will eat anything and the reds will hit most stuff as well- but mullet is king during the fall. Target whats in season and that helps too. Its starting to cool down a bit so thats good for reds. A general time to target them is from labor day to thanksgiving, but closer to october is better. Frozen bait comes off hooks easier-so I like fresh. Put your time in on the beach , dont expect to catch fish every time sometimes they are just not there, I hope this helps and wish you good luck out at Edisto, its l