Belize

Anybody local have any recommendations/advice for throwing flies in Belize? I turn thirty this year and think thats a great excuse for going.

I’m familiar with what sort of flies/gear I’ll need for targeting bonefish and tarpon, but more so, if you have any advice on guides, lodging, locations for wading, etc.

Thanks in advance

Send me your phone number, I went to Turneffe Flats a few months ago for my 40th Bday.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

I went to Belize years ago. Great trip and shots at bones, tarpon, permit and snook.
The bones tend to be smaller on avg than what you find in the Bahamas but Belize makes up for it by giving you shots at a grand slam and super grand slam.
There’s some good lodges there with guides who will put you on fish.

2016 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage w/300 Merc Verado

After much deliberation, we’re heading to the Bahamas. I believe the island of Andros. Early July in hopes of targeting bones, permit, and tarpon. Primarily bones.

If anyone has advice for guides, wadeable spots, etc… Let me know, please!

Unfortunately, I’ve never developed my sea legs, so I’ll be staying nearshore and wading the flats in the AM for the bulk of the trip.

quote:
Originally posted by awood0705

After much deliberation, we’re heading to the Bahamas. I believe the island of Andros. Early July in hopes of targeting bones, permit, and tarpon. Primarily bones.

Unfortunately, I’ve never developed my sea legs, so I’ll be staying nearshore and wading the flats in the AM for the bulk of the trip.

Depends where you are staying. If you go to South Andros there is a wadable flat at the south end at Mars Bay. Most of the guides seem to be associated with one of the several lodges in that area but I’m sure you can find a freelancer once you get there. I stayed at Mars Bay Bonefish Lodge a few years ago in January and caught a ridiculous number of Bonefish—some pretty good size. Didn’t see any Permit.

It’s a great island for fishing—have fun.

Huck

17’ Spyder poling skiff
28’ Tidewater CC

quote:
Originally posted by awood0705

Bahamas is probably the best bonefishing in the world, especially for numbers. You might see a permit/tarpon here and there, but mostly bones. We've stayed at Knolls Landing on the far N side of Andros a couple of times. It's the closest lodge to the Joulters and does offer a little bit of DIY. Knolls is a budget place where you do your own provisioning and Diane provides the lodging and guides. It's not luxurious but it's a good location and good price. Diane will also make some mean conch fritters for your happy hour after you return from fishing. We would fly into Nassau and then take a 6 seater charter for the short hop from Nas to N. Andros. It made scheduling a lot easier and was reasonably priced. Knolls Landing should have info on the interweb as well as on facebook. Let me know if you have any questions.

2016 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage w/300 Merc Verado

So to appease the wife, we are staying in Abaco. It is a little bit more accommodating for someone looking to relax and isn’t hellbent on fishing every day. I’ve booked a guide with Buddy Pinder for two days and am hoping and praying the weather holds up.

We are staying near Mermaid Cay–I really hope to find some good wading spots for the days I’m not going out.

Thanks all for the advice!