Benefits of gardening

Even better if you teach a man to fish and to garden.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Love it! Have the reason I plant a garden is to give stuff away. Taters, oninons, cabage, Kale, Turnips, beets and collards in the ground for now.

Wife wanted to plant the rest today, but I talked her out of it. My guess is we’ll still have a cold snap.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I took a chance and put most of my stuff in today. Will wait a little while to plant corn. Sugar snaps put on first blossoms yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Love it! Have the reason I plant a garden is to give stuff away. Taters, oninons, cabage, Kale, Turnips, beets and collards in the ground for now.

Wife wanted to plant the rest today, but I talked her out of it. My guess is we’ll still have a cold snap.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I thing I asked you this last year but have you ever grown any “Greasy Back” green beans? If not you really need to give them a try.

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13
quote:

I thing I asked you this last year but have you ever grown any “Greasy Back” green beans? If not you really need to give them a try.

Never have. And you did ask me about it. Could find nothing on them locally and got a couple of funny looks and a chuckle or two when I asked about them.

On beans I like a bush and plant Roma snap’s and some old field pea seed I got from my Uncle 30+ years ago that I still plant

Appalachian Heirloom http://www.wrightsdaylily.com/beans.html has em.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13
quote:

Never have. And you did ask me about it. Could find nothing on them locally and got a couple of funny looks and a chuckle or two when I asked about them.

On beans I like a bush and plant Roma snap’s and some old field pea seed I got from my Uncle 30+ years ago that I still plant

Appalachian Heirloom http://www.wrightsdaylily.com/beans.html has em.

I get the same look when I ask at a Farmer’s Market. All mine are at my mountain house or I would send you some. You can get them from below also.

http://appalachianheirloomplantfarm.weebly.com/bean.html

We are still using some that my dad’s grandparents had they must be over 100+ years on those beans. Just keep growing beans and keep some seeds for next year. Heirloom seeds from whatever plant is where it is at, forget the GMO crap.

[quote]Originally posted by UT_VOLS13

We are still using some that my dad’s grandparents had they must be over 100+ years on those beans. Just keep growing beans and keep some seeds for next year. Heirloom seeds from whatever plant is where it is at, forget the GMO crap.
[/quote

That’s cool about your family’s seed. It was a way of life. Not a lot of people do it anymore.

I think more gardeners need to save seeds. After a few years you can develop some very hardy strains, plus it is good to have heirloom seed JICTSHTF.

Where in Charleston do you more knowledgeable folks recommend plants? Wanting to start some tomatoes, okra, squash, etc, but don’t want to mess with seeds right now :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Where in Charleston do you more knowledgeable folks recommend plants? Wanting to start some tomatoes, okra, squash, etc, but don’t want to mess with seeds right now :wink:

Making the dems proud. Let someone else do the hard part, then reap the fruits of their labor:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Making the dems proud. Let someone else do the hard part, then reap the fruits of their labor:smiley:

Except they are receiving money for their fruits, ie capitalism

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Except they are receiving money for their fruits, ie capitalism

Good return. Thread hijacking over.

You could check with the county extension service? Or Clemson extension. BOTH GOVERNMENT FUNDED PROGRAMS THAT HELP US LEAD MORE FULFILLING LIVES AND BE MORE PRODUCTIVE AT A TINY COST PER PERSON TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. ahem. sorry.

quote:

If you serious; most all places will have “Bonnie Plants”. Those being Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, ect.

I have had 95+ percent success rate with “Bonnie Plants”.

Key is soil

Good Luck

quote:

I wouldn’t want to mess with tomato seeds either, but okra and squash seeds are really easy to plant and get an excellent germination rate. Plop 2-3 seeds in a hole, cover, water, and wait.

Yeah my soil sucks it’s sandy clay. I’m planing on building a couple small raised beds and filling them with the compost from the Bee’s Ferry Landfill. It’s the biodegraded yard litter the city picks up for $10/ton.

quote:

Yeah my soil sucks it’s sandy clay. I’m planing on building a couple small raised beds and filling them with the compost from the Bee’s Ferry Landfill. It’s the biodegraded yard litter the city picks up for $10/ton.

I would think of taking a sample to Possums Supply and get tested to see what you may need to add to soil(nutrients).

http://www.possumsupply.com/

Good idea- i bet the one in West Ashley probably has tested it frequently and already knows. I’ll give them a call. Thanks!

If you are close to BeesFerry landfill, Clemson extension isn’t far and they do soil testing as well.

If I get murdered in the city, don’t go revenging in my name…