best free anti virus

My norton just expired and i dont want to pay to renew it. I want a good free anti virus. Any suggestions?

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]

I use avast free version. It updates itself daily. Granted, it’ll bug the dickens out of you with reminders about system updates, wanting you to upgrade, but you can set the timer on the reminders to just a few seconds and get them out of your hair. It’s a good anti virus.

Also, every once in a while, run superantispyware.com on your system to get rid of spyware and junk.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Our IT guys (the ones I trust) use and recommend AVG. I have been using it for the last 2 years and really like it. It has not let me down so far.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Same as DFreedom.

Free AVG and Free Malwarebytes Anti Malware. I can’t remember the last time I had a real problem.

Thanks guys. I tried to find free AVG but all i could find was a free trial and after 30 days you have to pay. I got it just so i could be protected but i really dont want to pay them either. I have never heard of avast before but i will check it out. One more question: So, anti virus doesnt protect against spy ware and mal wear? If that is the case, i havent been protected from them. unless it was included in the norton that i bought(i paid for two things/services just not sure what they were called).

[/URL]

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-downloads

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4_r/?gclid=COnvwMilt8ACFSxk7AodVXUAYQ

Virus protection protects against virus some malware, but running malwarebytes is better protection against other nasty stuff. With the free version of Malwarebytes you have to run it yourself. I do it about once a week.

My machine runs Win 8.1 64 bit. The anti-virus native to 8.1 has protected me just fine.
Windows Defender protects against malware etc. I used to run AVG; gave it up-too intrusive and expensive.
Just FYI-don’t know what operating system you use.

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

Try Microsoft Securities Essentials. I have used it for four years without any issues.

j

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyaadams

Thanks guys. I tried to find free AVG but all i could find was a free trial and after 30 days you have to pay. I got it just so i could be protected but i really dont want to pay them either. I have never heard of avast before but i will check it out. One more question: So, anti virus doesnt protect against spy ware and mal wear? If that is the case, i havent been protected from them. unless it was included in the norton that i bought(i paid for two things/services just not sure what they were called).

Avast has been working good for me and our machines, it’s been recommended by my friend at Ronin Tech…he’s my source for computer stuff. Avast also has a cell phone version.

On the issue of spyware…that is different than virus. Spyware can be stuff like cookies to stuff that keylogs your strokes. Run a spyware cleaner on your system from time to time. CC Cleaner is a very good one I’ve been told.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

thanks for all the tech help claim.

[/URL]

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyaadams

thanks for all the tech help claim.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC