Best knot for a circle hook?

Just curious what knot you would recommend for a 4/0 circle on a fishfinder rig?

either palomar or clinch knot…either work fine for me

Snelled, pollamar, or my favorite the miller knot, designed by tuna fisherman for fluorocarbon but it works fine for mono, quick and easy to tie out on the water.

I’m so salt life I sued google earth for giving away all of my fishing spot’s.

Palomar if you are tying on braid. Bulletproof and you can tie it with your eyes closed.

If you are using a mono leader, use the improved clinch for the same reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

Palomar for me too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats
Marine Surveying & Repair

I tie the Uni-knot for just about everything.

I snell 100% of my fish-finder rigs. I buy hooks by the dozens and tie rigs (hook, leader and swivel) when the weather doesn’t allow fishing. Keep them in a zip-loc in my tackle box. Makes replacing them easy and quick.

19’ Sea-Pro CC
“Swagger Wagon”
Yamaha 115 - 2 stroke
14’ CMF Skiff
25 Johnson - 2 stroke
14’ Heritage Redfish

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
Ernest Hemingway

Snell,sometimes i double it.

Stonoman

Palomar is the strongest knot, but not the best for circle hooks. The hooks set better using a loop knot.

That’s why i asked because I heard only use a loop knot for circle hooks but from the responses I see on here it looks like most are not. How big of a loop do you leave the hook on?

snell

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

When I first started using circle hooks I was told to use the Perfection Loop. The loop does not need to be too big, maybe the size of dime or nickel. I tried for while snelling circle hooks that had a turned up or turned down eye. Something I read showed better hook ups with less gut hooks when you snell the circle hook. Didn’t notice any difference, never had any gut hooks with the loop, and got tired of snelling hooks. Now I pretty much use the Uni Knot for everything. I use Palomar to tie braid to swivel, and use the Uni Knot for everything else.

All knots will work but snelling is the best option.

Pat Condon
www.ksamarineinsurance.com
(843)568-8559

quote:
Originally posted by SouthernPanther

That’s why i asked because I heard only use a loop knot for circle hooks but from the responses I see on here it looks like most are not. How big of a loop do you leave the hook on?

3/8" to 1/2". I learned this from the top striper guide on the Chesapeake. He was on of the pioneers of C&R fishing during the collapse and caught most of the study fish - and he’s been a guide for 15+ years. He found the loop knot to work the best.

With larger fish, you want the line to “turn” parallel to the fish when they run off, basically hugging their gill plates - then the hook gets set. The loop allows the hook to stay put a little bit longer as that line is turning.

snell. easy to tye with heavy mono.