Best place for fresh shrimp

Hello

Where is the best place to buy local fresh shrimp please?
I used to go to Rauls, i really miss that place and buy stuff straight of the boat, where can I do that?
I generally go out to Huffs but that is a bit of a trek, i live in MP.
I thought there was a place on Shem creek where you could buy of the boat?
What made me think about this is I had dinner over the weekend with some good friends and another couple who we just see occasionally. Whenever I see this couple they complain about how the local fresh seafood isn’t as good as what they get up in the New jersey area. Kinda gets on my nerves to be honest.this time he was complaining about the “jumbo’ shrimp he had bought at Boone hall being only 1/2” or so big.

thanks in advance

GeeChee Dock on Shem Creek sells shrimp FOB call them to make sure they are open and have them though, 843-860-7046. Also Magwoods is in the same area.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

New Jersey is known as the Seafood Capital of America".

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

GeeChee Dock on Shem Creek sells shrimp FOB call them to make sure they are open and have them though, 843-860-7046. Also Magwoods is in the same area.

great, thanks a lot

If you want HUGE shrimp go see the “Southern Shrimp” guy down hwy 17 near Dodge’s store. He’s got a red trailer and has great fresh shrimp. It’s the only place I go to.

CAROLINA Seafood, MCVILLE
843 887 3713

Ax for the Shrimp Queen

Can you really take him seriously though? NJ doesn?t have much of a shrimp harvest so most everything he gets at home is shipped from the SE, GOM, or another country. Live fresh catch is not cookie cutter, you’ll get a little something different every time, which is a sign it’s not farmed in a pond in Thailand. I find the varying availability of certain seafood products a good thing and point of pride. It most likely means it’s not frozen and shipped from some farm. You don’t need a new seafood store, you need a new argument for when your buddy comes down from joy-sey.

How about we don’t care about the shrimp capital of NJ!!!

there is NO shrimp harvested in Jersey. Shem creek is very limited now that Magwood and Wando have closed up. Geechie dock may have some, but the weather has been terrible, with few boats fishing. Carolina seafood in the ville was bringing in shrimp from NC last week as the catch was way off. I have been selling shrimp from Al, MS, and La all summer because the price, size and availability of local shrimp sucked.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Tommy Edwards on Shem Creek.

21 Contender

I’ve had no problem getting shrimp this summer and I’m just a regular person. Hard to imagine a seafood distributor not being able to get local shrimp. Conspiracy?

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

I’ve had no problem getting shrimp this summer and I’m just a regular person. Hard to imagine a seafood distributor not being able to get local shrimp. Conspiracy?

Retail and wholesale are two different things. I can get all the retail shrimp I want. when you’re buying two and 300 pounds per week, I do much better getting it from North Carolina, Alabama or Mississippi as much as three dollars a pound different. For the same size. No conspiracy just economics. Ask your old friend Hoppy he was talking about shrimp from Magwood boats being sold at Simmons for $14.99 a pound

I was getting either 50 or 100lb boxes FOB out of the ville’. Never pay anywhere near retail. That’s for gentiles*

Same here, but my 'ville is Rock