best source for blue crab?

I’m from the upstate and at age 56 am just starting to learn about what the heck to do with blue crabs.What is the best and or cheapest source for live crabs?

Just come on down with some chicken backs and put them out while you are fishing.My first wife would run the heck out of the crab lines while I fished and we always had a good mess at the end of the day. I think you can put out 2 traps also.Some places r better than others,Just like fishing.They are expensive to buy.

I want to learn how to cook them and learn to catch my own later,best place to buy?

We get ours from huffs.

Anyone know if sellsfish, is crabbing:question:

Call penny to check with her dad! If he cant help you he should know who can.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Call penny to check with her dad! If he cant help you he should know who can.

Thanks so much…but daddy is not crabbing now.
My daddy is very sick.
Prayers would be appreciated very much.
Huggs to all of you. Stay safe and always remember to realize how blessed you are no matter how bad your day is.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
Originally posted by mckee16

I want to learn how to cook them and learn to catch my own later,best place to buy?

I’ve never been but I’ve heard Joe Joe’s Seafood Market in Greenville sells live blue crabs.

As far as cooking them, I know a lot of people boil their crabs (yuck) but I prefer to steam them.

I use a 1:1 ratio for vinegar and water. The amount depends on the size of your steaming pot. I also put a healthy dose of Old Bay in the liquid. Once your liquid is at a good rolling boil, lower your crabs into the steamer. Make sure the crabs are about 2" above the liquid (my steaming pot has a removable basket inside). Build layers in your steamer…crabs, Old Bay, crabs, Old Bay…Steam for about 20-25 minutes or until the crabs turn red. Remover from the crabs from the steamer and serve immediately.

Penny, I’m so sorry to hear about your father. I will definitely be praying for him, you and your family.

God bless the “ignore” function.

Eating blue crabs is like trying to trying to get full off of grasshopper legs.

LOL!!! So true.

For me, picking crabs was always more of a social event than a meal. That said, I do prefer the flavor of blue crabs over snow or king crab and definitely more than Dungeness.

God bless the “ignore” function.

Penn! prayers going out for your Dad. Never met yall, but feel like I’m part of the family! Have enjoyed all the storys and pictures over the years. Thank for shareing, hope every ting come out well! Keep us posted.

Penny, prayers for your Daddy! Mr. Penny’s Daddy, Sir!

Keep us updated, OK?

Get a knife, real crab pickers laugh at mallets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crGGPHx7Qag

I 2nd Bangsticks steaming method, I use an old stainless steel beer keg, old hot water heater burner hooked to 20 lb. propane to do it outside to steam a bushel per keg. I figure a bushel will feed 10 people for a good social gathering. Most crab retailers are using piped-in boiler steam in their steam rooms.

Miss Penny, I hope & pray your Dad has a speedy recovery, best of luck to you & your family.

Thenk you all so much for the prayers and messages.
I told daddy and it made him smile

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I met “Bubby” once at Carolina Seafood and recognized immediately from Penny’s posts. I introduced myself and told him what a pleasure it was to meet him in the flesh. He seemed tickled and surprised that Penny had dialed him up that much notoriety on the internet, as he was recognized quite frequently. I hope he has a speedy recovery and gets back on the water soon.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Thank you so much.
Please continue to keep my daddy in your prayers.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Call Bubba Craven, tell him you’re a friend of mine or know me from Charleston fishing. He is a commercial Crabber and sells from his home in North Charleston daily
+1 (843) 324-9828

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Just don’t try to arm wrestle him, fore arms like Popeye!

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Hahaha…thank you . Im a little partial to my daddy too.
Daddy was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago and I would appreciate it if y’all would keep him in your prayers. I believe in prayers and in miracles. I hope to get out in the creek with him one day soon. The best therapy both of us could get for sure.
Cherish everyday…hugg those you love and tell them so…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Penny, your Mom and Daddy, moved from McClellanville:question: