Best Tactical Home Defense Shotgun?

I have a Remington 870 Express but I’m looking for a something a little more compact for my house. Any recommendations?

http://www.saiga-12.com/

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]

Some would say your 870 is the best choice, others the mossburg 500, Saiga SGL, or a tactical 1100. There are a ton of options for the 870. just don’t go under 18" on the barrel length to keep it legal.

Give us a price range and if you want to spend top dollar get a Benelli M4

If you want an arguement with some on this site go with a stage coach double barrel. You can leave it loaded for years and all you have to do when you need it is cock the hammers. No Semi-Auto or Pump etc is as fast as a double barrel on the first follow-up. It can’t jam and you can’t short-cycle it.

If two 12ga loads didn’t end it, the bad guys are at hand-to-hand range, now you don’t have to wrestle over a loaded longun but can give it to them while moving on your handgun. let the debate begin. If your good with it a base ball bat has won a lot of fights. A lot of street thugs aren’t good shots, but I wouldn’t take that chance. :smiley:

You can get almost any accessories you want for that 870. An 18" barrel and a tactical stock are pretty easy to come by. Also go check out PSA, they have a good selection of ones already built or they carry all of the stuff to convert yours over.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Can’t go wrong with a DP-12 double barrel pump

Alan Reece.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/acr242004/dakota]

[/URL]

The 870 is hard to beat, I’ve got one and it’s my favorite shotgun. Just change the barrel, stock too if you want. It only takes a minute to switch barrels. I also have a Pardner tactical pump, do not buy one of those, unless you want to buy mine. $175 :smiley:

I’ve been looking at the new Remington 887, anybody tried one of them yet? http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx

Personally I don’t want an autoloader for home defense, I want a pump gun.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

The 870 is hard to beat, I’ve got one and it’s my favorite shotgun. Just change the barrel, stock too if you want. It only takes a minute to switch barrels. I also have a Pardner tactical pump, do not buy one of those, unless you want to buy mine. $175 :smiley:

I’ve been looking at the new Remington 887, anybody tried one of them yet? http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx

Personally I don’t want an autoloader for home defense, I want a pump gun.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I don’t want to have to think about what I’m doing in that situation. All my shotguns are auto’s. I just want to have to pull the trigger. I might forget to pump it, and that would cost precious seconds. If I was used to a pump, that might be different.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Never underestimate the psychological impact of the sound of a pump shotgun being racked.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

You’d already have 13 holes in you by the time you heard that sound in my house either way…

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

If you go with a double berrel, make sure ot has ejectors.

Best shotgun is the one loaded and ready.

I would just have to figure which one to grab first.

it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

14’’ McKee/30 'rude
“Shenanigans”

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Never underestimate the psychological impact of the sound of a pump shotgun being racked.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Even a shovel can be pretty intimidating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0cF3KMWgVg

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

Shotguns really are not good for home defense in a majority of situations. A hand gun with the correct ammo is more usable for the situation. Again ammo choice is key, but 17 rounds, one hand capability, easy to mount light to, can run suppressor easily, super small to clear areas, easy to reload are all advantages of a hand gun over a shot gun.

Also your significant other could likely handle a pistol a lot easier than a shotgun.

Now if all’s you’re going to do is stand up and blast at the door/bad guy with no other intent, shot guns not a terrible tool for the job.

And please if you have a gun on the ready for defense, keep it loaded. If a bad guy is in your home don’t try and scare him, take him out

The JUDGE

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Some would say your 870 is the best choice, others the mossburg 500, Saiga SGL, or a tactical 1100. There are a ton of options for the 870. just don’t go under 18" on the barrel length to keep it legal.

Give us a price range and if you want to spend top dollar get a Benelli M4

If you want an arguement with some on this site go with a stage coach double barrel. You can leave it loaded for years and all you have to do when you need it is cock the hammers. No Semi-Auto or Pump etc is as fast as a double barrel on the first follow-up. It can’t jam and you can’t short-cycle it.

If two 12ga loads didn’t end it, the bad guys are at hand-to-hand range, now you don’t have to wrestle over a loaded longun but can give it to them while moving on your handgun. let the debate begin. If your good with it a base ball bat has won a lot of fights. A lot of street thugs aren’t good shots, but I wouldn’t take that chance. :smiley:

I would say roughly my price range is $300-$400. Looking at all brands and prices. And the conversion for my 870 Express would be just as much as a new gun so I might as well get a new gun with that amount of money.

Thank you everyone for the help!

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

quote:
Originally posted by captain ahab

The JUDGE

And already have The JUDGE. It is a beast of a weapon. My father is looking at the GOVERNOR for another piece to his collection.

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

Not that its my business and Im not being a smart ass. i am sure you have your reasons but why not buy a different type gun for your collection. If the 870 works fine for home defense(which it would) but is too long you could just get a shorter barrel and put the longer one on when you go hunting or what not. Plus you have the judge too. Maybe get a different caliber or type gun just to diversify your collection. Now this is coming from someone that has 4 20 gauges and am thinking about getting my second 9mm so i understand that having two similar guns and or same caliber guns is not unnecessary and perfectly fine for many different reasons. They are like fishing poles, you can never have too many:smiley: Not trying to tell you not to get a new more compact shotgun,its just a thought i had. I ll put up a link to a great video about the mossberg 88,500 and 590. If you get the 500 i would upgrade the polymer trigger group to the metal one like the 590. I really like that 590 and i think they cost about 500 or so bucks, which seems like a very reasonable price for that gun. The 500 is probably right in your price range and i think would be a great choice. They have quite a variety of hardware you can add/change to make it more tactical or home defense friendly. Man, shopping for guns is so much fun!

check this video out. These guys know their stuff when it comes to guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPco--jmmlY&index=70&list=UUWJHDMgKWWvOsdyRF3HPVEw

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]