Best way to eat trout?

Coat skinless fillets with Miracle Whip or Mayo, place in a glass baking dish, sprinkle with your choice of seasoned bread crumbs, bake uncovered until fish flakes.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Hello fellas, I’m more of a lurker on here than a poster, but I have to chime in on this one. Tons of ways to prepare trout for sure, but one of my favs is a simple blackened trout filet taco. It’s always a crowd pleaser here. We typically throw a filet in a warm tortilla, top with shredded lettuce, tomato, and sharp cheddar cheese. Then we run a bead of sauce across the whole mess. The sauce is real simple, equal parts sour cream and mayo,(normally 1/2 cup of each) fresh minced garlic, lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes a dash of cayenne depending on who is coming over for dinner. Oh, and we use Paul Prudhommes blackened redfish magic for the blackening seasoning.

Welcome aboard ninja,taco recipe sounds great,start posting and join in on the fun.A very knowledgeable crew here.

quote:
Originally posted by sman

A quick way to scale them is with a garden hose and a fire hose type fitting on it.Spray the scales off.The fried whole method was better when there was no size limit and you could keep the small ones.

I remember as a small kid having many small trout fried up. Not sure if it was legal or no creel limits? I asked Dad, and he doesn’t remember, all he remembers is any fish caught went home for food, except a toad fish.

I got to searching and I can’t find when they did start creel limits on trout? Any idea?

Can’t remember Fred ,I’m thinking early 80s maybe when saltwater license came out. I do remember it was a 12in limit when it first started .

quote:
Originally posted by sman

Can’t remember Fred ,I’m thinking early 80s maybe when saltwater license came out. I do remember it was a 12in limit when it first started .

Thanks… Was searching around a bit more and can find nothing on it?

I can remember many years ago catching monster Redfish at the Gordon and scaling them with a garden hoe. I’m pretty sure it was legal then.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Pan seared some trout tonight. It was delicious! Seasoned the fish w/ salt & pepper only. Covered the bottom of the cast iron w/ olive oil & heated to med high. Seared one side, removed pan from heat added a pad of herb butter to the pan & spooned it over top the fish while it cooked through.

In the driveway, fried. House autry after an egg/milk wash. Handcut some fries before doing the fish.

Put some filets on the smoker and made a fish dip

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

I wish I was your neighbor.Nice weather we’ve been having.