Best way to eat trout?

So, now I’m finally getting a few fish and keeping a few trout I wanted to get the brain trust to educate me on the best way to cook them.

I think I’m fairly good around the kitchen but I had a couple of trout over the last week and was kinda underwhelmed, not a lot of taste.

can y’all tell me how you cook your trout please?

thanks a lot

I love to put a fillet down, then crab meat spread (there’s about 100 different recipes online for this), then the other fillet on top, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, sprinkle with fresh parmesan and let it melt over the top…OMG.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Trout is a very mild-flavor fish so don’t expect too much in the way of overwhelming flavor. It’s a great vessel for seasonings and, as 23 said, for stuffing with crab meat. I like it stuffed with crab meat and baked but to be honest, my favorite for sea trout is deep fried with panko breading. For frying, season your fish well (Slap Yo’ Mama Cajun seasoning) and season your egg wash (with Old Bay and your favorite hot sauce…I like Frank’s but have also used Siracha) well. I use A1 seasoned flour as my base coat. Then I dredge the fish in the seasoned egg wash and then coat it in the panko. 350 degrees until it floats. Let it drain (I use a baking cooling rack over paper towel) and serve. To jazz it up, I like to dip it in sweet Thai chili sauce.

God bless the “ignore” function.

With cold slaw, fries, & cold beer. Anything more is just frufru window dressing.

I’m Lost. I’ve Gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, PLEASE ask me to wait.

Thanks a lot, yeah, very mild taste, i think i need to try and spice up a bit.
Will try the stuffed crab and cheese, sounds great.

cheers

Scaled, head off, gutted, couple of deep scores on both sides and fried whole.

Oh Fred , you’re so old school.You can’t beat the old ways

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Scaled, head off, gutted, couple of deep scores on both sides and fried whole.

OK, gonna try that as well

thanks!

With a fork!

fried trout sammich is da bomb. use fritz’s batter recipe from other thread and enjoy

“mr keys”

Hey
Do y’all skin the fillets?

Thanks

I tried something new the other day where filleted trout and soaked them in lime juice for about an hour. I put them on a fancier version of a george foreman grill. They cooked up quick and I put some salsa on top. I was very happy with how they turned out. Their light flavor allows them to take on a lot of the flavor you put on them.

Go back about one page to the thread regarding Japanese bread crumb. Killer on trout. We actually started making our own bread crumbs by making homemade croutons and crushing them in the food processor (store in the freezer) Dredge the fish in seasoned flour, egg wash and then coat in the bread crumbs. I pan fry mine in a cast iron skillet and throw it in the oven at a super high temp for a few minutes. Drizzle key lime butter sauce over the top.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

quote:
Originally posted by Goob

Go back about one page to the thread regarding Japanese bread crumb. Killer on trout. We actually started making our own bread crumbs by making homemade croutons and crushing them in the food processor (store in the freezer) Dredge the fish in seasoned flour, egg wash and then coat in the bread crumbs. I pan fry mine in a cast iron skillet and throw it in the oven at a super high temp for a few minutes. Drizzle key lime butter sauce over the top.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

That sounds awesome, do you take the skin of the fillets?

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

Hey

Thanks

I usually fillet the skin off when cleaning. Yes

The cook at a catfish restaurant in Mississippi told me her secret once, and it applies to speckled trout as well: “I just battas 'em and frys 'em.”

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Goob

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

I’ve gone to using Japanese breadcrumb (panko) exclusively (excluding my base of seasoned flour and egg wash). It has GREAT crunch but it’s much lighter and crispier than a flour-based or corn meal-based coating.

God bless the “ignore” function.

smoke em’

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

Hey

Thanks

It takes a bit longer but, I’ll scale a couple and leave skin on a few fillets for me, will filet off skin for the wife and daughter.

I like the eating the skin on trout, whiting, and flounder, pretty much all else I fillet the skin off.

A quick way to scale them is with a garden hose and a fire hose type fitting on it.Spray the scales off.The fried whole method was better when there was no size limit and you could keep the small ones.