Best way to freeze boiled peanuts?

Who boils up a mess of peanuts and freezes them for later enjoyment? I have in the past, but they just don’t seem to be all that great when thawed back out. I know fresh boiled are the best, but don’t always have the time.

How do you package yours up to freeze?

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

We always get a bushel or 2 and freeze a year’s supply. I blanch them in boiling water for about 10 minutes with no salt, then put them in cold water to cool quickly. Drain and package in ziploc bags. Boil them for an hour or so when ready to eat. Can’t tell them from fresh.

We also usually can some in quart jars. Just open and eat. They will keep for years if you can them.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

zombie apocalypse = go to Cracker Larry’s house…

I froze some “Dam P-nuts” from the guy at the Lake Murray dam last year and they didn’t do very well…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

I froze some “Dam P-nuts” from the guy at the Lake Murray dam last year and they didn’t do very well…

They are dam good fresh though, and I can’t boil them that cheap.

I have a fellow that sells the Cajun boiled told me to put
p-nuts in qt size baggie and fill to cover nuts with the cooking water
then freeze , when ready thaw and reheat to low boil for few minutes,
you won’t know they were ever frozen!!! I usually buy couple gal.at
a time along with the seasoned cooking water , it will last me about a year :wife don’t like p-nuts.[:0]

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I froze a bunch last year and have done it in the past. Boil then freeze in bags with water.

Seah Hunt Ultra 234 Yamaha F250
Sea Pro 190CC Yamaha F150 (sold)

eh…just toss them in freezer bags and freeze. Been doing it for years…nothing like a semi-frozen peanut on a hot summer day! Anyone who has ever eaten them has never said a word about “quality” of frozen peanuts and eats them until the bag is gone.

Boil a bushel, steep to suit saltiness, semi-cool, vacuum pack and freeze. Boil in bag until hot. They’re awesome come November :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

They are dam good fresh though, and I can’t boil them that cheap.

no kidding…they are on the small side, but they sure are good…

In order for me to worry about how to freeze boiled peanuts, I would have to have some left over. And that hasn’t ever happened.

j

If you freeze them in the brine you cook them in, they turn out really good. Usually pull a couple containers out when we head offshore. Nice to snack on while holding the lines dredge fishing all day.

I always get a bunch in the fall and freeze them in gallon ziplock bags after boiling. I have never covered with the brine, as I believe the shell takes care of the nut.

Have had up to one year in freezer and they were great. Toss them in microwave to warm if you like. Works well.

Have had several folks say they were the best they have ever had. Try dumping some of your favorite hot sauce in the pot with the salted water when boiling…makes quite a difference.

NN

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

We quit blanching years ago. Do a bushel salt like you like drain when done eat your fill and put the rest in zip lock bags. Good for a year. Throw in the boat or take em to a mud bog eat em when they thaw. We have re-boiled to heat up and I add salt to the water again when I do them like that.

The only thing we blanch now are greens. Straight freeze snap beans, peas, okra, and do corn in the shucks.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”