Best way to ocean between iop and dewees?

This I know has been talked about a lot I’m sure but refresh my memory, I did folly at low tide a month ago at low tide to get my tracks set for the week, does this apply here? Going down and have a wet slip at iop from 14 July till 21 July and want to be safe and save time also as the ride down inter coastal wastes a lot of time, ur thoughts ?

The bars have changed since the spring time and definitely moved since last summer. If you go out at low tide and you don’t know how to read waves breaking in shallow water then you better wait until the tide is high to ensure you get across. Half tide is still a little tricky

1 Like

ICW at low tide to can make you high center between Awendaw and IOP if you are running the channel in areas as well.

How big is you boat? How much does it draft loaded?

Plus tides are not the same each swing. I was looking at your week and the low tide will deviate almost a foot, and that doesn’t take into account the wind and fetch.

Anyway, just some stuff to consider.

Go out Dewey’s at low tide with light wind. It is easy to read the waves and pick your route between the breakers. Slight S turn involved. My saved route is still good from last summer. Much harder to pick it out coming from the ocean–ask me how I know! LOL

3 Likes

It’s a Seafox 237 , is 8ft 6 inches wide and drafts 18 inches from (specs) has twin 115 mercury//yamahas , can hold 121gallons of pure gas from dead dry tank … so if im fully loaded with fuel topped off it probably sits down to around 21 inches more on draft…

Guess I should mention also I’ve got 4 batteries as I’ve got radar etc that adds weight

Thanks for your input sigmonster.

Welcome back to the site!!

1 Like

Hey sig how bout Monday week u come ride with us to show us the way so I can have it on my tracks ? So we can rest assured we be safe going fishing via the short cut , would love and feel safer having ur knowledge on board and it’ll be a free ride with beer or liquor of ur choice for your help, ok

1 Like

I am here this week, but gone the rest of the month.

I could ride out at low tide one day or I could send you a screen shot of my route. I have SIMRAD on my boat and maybe you could come by and copy the track of my machine if compatible. My boat is in Morgan Creek.

Text my cell 828-781-3065. Reggie Sigmon

Don’t do it. Sincerely- your friendly neighborhood Coastie

2 Likes

Whatever happened here?

1 Like

All good, got screen shots of Sig’s tracks and no problems getting out or back in

gotta love it when a plan comes together

catch any fish?

Used the short cut multiple times out at dewy but either didn’t have anyone to go with me or when weather window was good had family stuff that was preplaned and that came first as the young grandkids came first. All in all it was fun for a week and kept my word to family to not get crazy and go alone anymore 50-60 miles offshore weather/winds sucked first have of week and mostly fished the jetties and caught the usual as the rocks blocked the wind/waves . As for wetslip at iop it was great to just jump in boat and go, took family and friends out on many of sun set cruise, think for now gonna just chill on saltwater fishing and just leave boat at Hartwell house in Clemson and fish there occasionally