Beware the Stono for kayaks...

Today was a day that I just want to put everything on Craigslist and be done with it! Have had no luck in past couple weeks other than a skate on an artificial! How is that for a slap in the face. Had the plan today to not worry about catching fish and just relax on the water casting the banks and troll a bit. Just being on the water is equally as much fun as catching fish most of the time. Well, everyone commenting on the Stono River has failed to mention the amount of A#$&*^es in 30-45’ boats. Had one notice me at the last second totally dropping throttle making it even worse! At least he did stop to make sure I made it through his wake. That was when I called it. Going back to where I know on the Wando tomorrow to recoup some confidence. On the good side I do love my new rods and stake out pole… Hey Tommy, can you make it out tomorrow? lol

That sucks. The Stono is part of the ICW and it’s time for the snowbirds to fly South for the winter. It will get a lot better in the next couple of weeks.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

Aha. Is that what it is… Should of known they were from up north, not a single wave from them…just from their boats.

We’re stuck between Barack and a hard place. Hide their food stamps under their working boots.

Manta Ray 14’

Not just the snowbirds, I put in at Wide Awake Plantation out in Hollywood about a month or so ago and got waked by multiple large boats they don’t care …

Shaun, where were you on the Stono? I was fishing the Stono on Thurs too. Put in at Sol Legare and rode the tide out. I didn’t have any trouble with boaters but TooBusy is probably right about the snowbirds and the lower Stono is not the ICW.

My luck was not much better tho. I caught a few trout but small and some misc fish found on the bottom. So far for me, fishing this fall has not been as good as last year.

The section close to Wappoo Cut gets a ton of traffic. I’ve seen everything from barges, to big sportys, to luxury yachts, and even a few small cruise ships pass through there.

quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

The section close to Wappoo Cut gets a ton of traffic. I’ve seen everything from barges, to big sportys, to luxury yachts, and even a few small cruise ships pass through there.

+1^^^
Just figured it was the price of admission. Jealous of you Wando men who seem to take serenity for granted. :sunglasses:

The moral of the story? Stay out of the Stono; lots of traffice and no fish. :smiley:

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120

There are a few times of the year that the beating is worth it. There are some SERIOUS QUALITY fish in the Stono if you know When and Where.

Hairball seems to have it dialed in.

I put out at Limehouse. What really surprised me it was a sportfisher that really swamped me. They SHOULD be the first people on boats to be considerate.

We’re stuck between Barack and a hard place. Hide their food stamps under their working boots.

Manta Ray 14’