Bird identification?

Can anybody tell me what kind of young bird this is? Thanks.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Screech owl?

Chicken?

Dinner.

RBF

Not an owl and not a chicken.Beak looks like a hawk of some type but feet don’t.

Looks like somebody’s chicken got loose from that picture. Do you have any more pics Larry?

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Juvenile Coturnix Quail

As RBF said, dinner. In about two more months.

Actually really fun to raise. They cohabitate very well with chickens.

not enough white in the face for a bob white… some kind of quail? probably released from a nearby plantation??

100% sure no kind of owl.

Not a chicken, I’ve raised chickens, don’t think it’s a quail either, I’ve raised quail too. Looks like some kind of bird of prey to me. Not sure what kind.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Kinda looks like a Cooper’s Hawk.

2012 Scout 177
Yamaha 70

That’s a (**() handsome young bird, but those aren’t raptor feet.I would almost feel bad when he gained some weight and decided to eat him.

As an aside, A big aside,in the mid seventies my dad and I paid close attention to a pair of nesting Ivory Billed woodpeckers in a large low swampy area in upstate SC.We had no idea what they were till we saw one mounted in the Charleston museum a few years later.Of course, nobody believes this story but we know for (**() sure what we were looking at.They acted and flew nothing like the Pileated Woodpecker that everybody tells us we saw.

It’s a juvenile bird which makes it hard to identify. I can see the resemblance to a quail, but I’m thinking like a chicken hawk.

Definitely a Coturnix Quail(aka Japanese Quail). Color patterning is correct along with eye location and coloring of legs/feet.

Hawks will have a much more prominent hook to the tip of the beak, black nails and yellow legs/feet, even as fledglings. Also yellow at the base of the beak as well as a noticeable color ring in the eye.

Thank you sir, I believe you are correct.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

that bird appears to have passed out from reading the endtimes thread

“Enough hijacking, this is a major thread”

^^^^yup.

Looks like something fun to raise!

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

quote:
Originally posted by mckee16

That’s a (**() handsome young bird, but those aren’t raptor feet.I would almost feel bad when he gained some weight and decided to eat him.

As an aside, A big aside,in the mid seventies my dad and I paid close attention to a pair of nesting Ivory Billed woodpeckers in a large low swampy area in upstate SC.We had no idea what they were till we saw one mounted in the Charleston museum a few years later.Of course, nobody believes this story but we know for (**() sure what we were looking at.They acted and flew nothing like the Pileated Woodpecker that everybody tells us we saw.

I watched a show on ETV a few months ago and there are still those searching and believing the Ivory Bill is still around. There are others who say they’ve seen em. I don’t think there has been any sightings from the 90’s to present.

Fred, JSYK

DFreedom texted me a pic of an ivory bill and a sasquatch. In the same pic. Congaree swamp,.early 2014.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Fred, JSYK

DFreedom texted me a pic of an ivory bill and a sasquatch. In the same pic. Congaree swamp,.early 2014.

I can believe the sasquatch or even the lizard man, but no way does he have a picture of an Ivory Bill…