Black Drum

Went out to Georgetown reef and of course killed the BSB but also
Hooked into this nice Black Drum! Fishing is picking up. Good luck all and stay safe!!

Nice slob! Get a weight on it?

My scale max was 65lbs and it bottomed it out. So guessing at least 70lb
Vented and released

Tidewater 198 CC

That picture deserves the full view:

Hope you sent it back down! caught them like that years ago at the old Copper River bridges, chalk full of worms. Worse then Aj’s. No need to kill em that big, JMO.

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

quote:
Originally posted by Bug Catcher

Hope you sent it back down! caught them like that years ago at the old Copper River bridges, chalk full of worms. Worse then Aj’s. No need to kill em that big, JMO.

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

Yes as I stated in my one post above, it was vented and released. Can’t keep them anyway over 27". And your correct about the worms. It would be LOADED!!

Tidewater 198 CC

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

That picture deserves the full view:

Thanks!!!

Tidewater 198 CC

Once they are that big, we used to call them channel bass.
Great catch!

Free spaghetti with those big drum.

oc

Holding heavy fish like that kills them. The weight hanging from their mouth pulls apart the cartlidge that connects the head and the body and makes it difficult or impossible for them to digest food, so they are more likely to starve to death. There have been several studies and articles on this. So, hold your fish parallel to the sea and support their body weight with your hands versus putting all the weight under their jaw/ digestive system. Hopefully that fish is still swimming but just a future FYI.

Nice fish. Never seen one that big in our area. Were you just chicken rigging for whatever or did you have them in mind?

R

quote:
Originally posted by Jay W

Nice fish. Never seen one that big in our area. Were you just chicken rigging for whatever or did you have them in mind?

We were bottom fishing for black sea bass and also catching 2-4 lb black drums.
Caught that with a frozen shrimp topped with squid strip. Wasn’t planning on that. Fun fight to the boat

Tidewater 198 CC

quote:
Originally posted by Messin

R

quote:

Caught that with a frozen shrimp topped with squid strip. Wasn’t planning on that. Fun fight to the boat

Tidewater 198 CC

Hell, I “woulda” eaten that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip” too!
Too bad for that fish… “Shoulda” eaten on one of the fish that were looking at that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip”…that BIG fish liked it better!

That “fish” got its’ picture taken. “Coulda” the “fishs’” digestive tract been disturbed? I don’t know if the data is solid. I imagine the guy that made the “fish” grip doesn’t care for the bad press…Back to the fish.

If my man Messin wants to risk a hernia picking up that “fish”…that’s between him and the “fish”. The “fish” made the choice to eat that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip” and paid the consequences.

Nice catch my man.

Those 2 to 4 lb black drum are good table fair…hope you got to take a few of those home…they don’t eat quite as good as black sea bass, but they are awfully tasty blackened with some good grits on the side.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy
quote:
Originally posted by Messin

R

quote:

Tidewater 198 CC

Hell, I “woulda” eaten that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip” too!
Too bad for that fish… “Shoulda” eaten on one of the fish that were looking at that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip”…that BIG fish liked it better!

That “fish” got its’ picture taken. “Coulda” the “fishs’” digestive tract been disturbed? I don’t know if the data is solid. I imagine the guy that made the “fish” grip doesn’t care for the bad press…Back to the fish.

If my man Messin wants to risk a hernia picking up that “fish”…that’s between him and the “fish”. The “fish” made the choice to eat that “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip” and paid the consequences.

Nice catch my man.

Thanks Mdaddy
That fish, after venting swam off and down fine.
I’m sure it will be fine. Going to go out again Saturday and try again
I hope I can get offshore if not, trout and Red fishing inshore

Tidewater 198 CC

quote:
Originally posted by CBBIV

Those 2 to 4 lb black drum are good table fair…hope you got to take a few of those home…they don’t eat quite as good as black sea bass, but they are awfully tasty blackened with some good grits on the side.

Sure did! We kept a few black drum and had a great day with nice size BSB

Tidewater 198 CC

I had to do this after this post and the one on the inshore reports. So mdaddy I have a scenario for you…you were born in space with no gravity (look how astronauts train). Your body adjusted accordingly inside and out. Well hell why would you need to support any organs when there is no gravity right? O sh*& I got yanked up all of a sudden my a%8 is hanging out (this is mainly barotrauma) and my kidney just got crushed by my full stomach because my body isn’t designed for this…maybe these aliens will be easy on me. No its mdaddy he is going to punch me in the face and release me because I can’t be kept! Seriously man if you are going to release a fish why wouldn’t you take precautions to make sure it makes it? And before you call me a hippy I have killed plenty of fish and still do.

Edit: Congrats on the fish messin!

Good gracious on the stupid criticisms. What do y’all want him to do? Make love to the big wormer? If he shook his boga a few times with the fish on it, maybe he could have gained a few pounds…Just quit reading reports if some of y’all can’t quit keyboard coaching.

Drum are pretty tough critters.

Congrats on a big azz fish.

quote:
Originally posted by empty pockets

Good gracious on the stupid criticisms. What do y’all want him to do? Make love to the big wormer? If he shook his boga a few times with the fish on it, maybe he could have gained a few pounds…Just quit reading reports if some of y’all can’t quit keyboard coaching.

Drum are pretty tough critters.

Congrats on a big azz fish.
Thank you Empty Pockets. There’s always one in every crowd
Let’s go fishing!!!

Tidewater 198 CC

I used to read this MB for years before ever becoming a member. I’m semi retired now so I got the time to reply. Maybe I should have just kept it to reading.

The things I’ve learned from reading these posts is boundless. About Horseshoe crabs/iron causing the plankton to turn brown in the gulf stream…it causes me to read and look things up.

23Sailfish taught me how to post pictures…the reason I replied to your post. He took the time to refer me to a prior post without implying I was stupid.

As to fish abuse, which seems to be a topic that comes up on this MB, I’ll move that discussion to the Offshore discussion.

Messsin, I’ve never seen a Black Drum that big caught bottom fishing around here. I know I was impressed by you getting him/her to the boat. You posted that you “vented and released” the fish. I considered that being a steward of good fishing practices. Would “I” have picked up that fish? NO…unless I was going to go for a state record…Why risk a hernia/getting finned/“hurting the fish”.

“There’s always one in every crowd”…

“Holding heavy fish like that kills them…”

I see both points. I came down on the side of consequences. That “old” fish made a choice to eat that " frozen shrimp topped with squid strip". Messin made a choice to take its picture…
We all made a choice to reply.

Was that “old” fish injured??? Seems that all that replied hope not. None of us know…except that “old” fish. If that “old” fish gets another chance at a “frozen shrimp topped with squid strip”…I imagine it will “choose” otherwise!