Black Sea Bass Tournament? (gauging interest)

I’d fish it for sure.

Count me in too for whatever is decided.

As long as it does not occur on Military Appreciation Day (june 1 and june 2) I am in

Squid Row 2
22 Shamrock WA

Flounder Pounder 2
16 Sandpiper Skiff

Im with redstripe on the keg/fishfry after party

I like it. Could not even fish for sheeps at the edisto 40 wednesday b/c of the bsb’s. Caught around 200 in 2.5 hrs anywhere from 11-17". We then decided to see just HOW easy they were to catch…caught them on 7 straight drops with a bare hook, caught them on a straw wrapper, and my buddy MJ caught them on an entire bojangles biscut wrapper balled up on a hook (i think the trick here was use the wrapper from a cajun fillet biscut, gotta be the cajun fillet)…Taking the proceeds from a tourney of such and putting them towards organizations like the RFA and such is great idea…I like the “release numbers” idea as well as a second category…

The more I personally think about this, I can’t think of a better way to bring attention to this issue. Richie we need to pick a date and start getting this thing going ASAP…

The more I personally think about this, I can’t think of a better way to bring attention to this issue. Richie we need to pick a date and start getting this thing going ASAP…

Spoke with the RFA the other day & they are excited about this. I like all the ideas here. We will be working with the RFA and all our industry partners to discuss the rules & specifics.

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown
24hr Dispatch: 843-527-4136

“If you were a member, it would be free.”

I’m in! Sounds like a great way to help out the cause…and have a great meal at the same time!

Sounds like a great idea guy’s. I am willing to make a donation for the RFA. Even if can’t fish it. Will keep an eye on this post.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

Thanks for the call, Richie. I’ll pass the word along to some folks in Greenville and Gtown who aren’t on the forum. May not be able to fish my boat, but I will at least be a crew on someone else’s…

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

The date will be June 16th. This is the second weekend after the bsb’s are supposed to open, and one of the few weekends with nothing else happening. It is also the weekend before the Tailwalker tournament in Georgetown, so hopefully some of our king fishing guys will come up to support the cause and pre-fish for the the following weekend!

Sea Tow members get 25% off at the Hampton Inn - Georgetown Marina, 25% off dockage at the marina and 10% off ship’s store purchases. So save the date, and stand by for more info.

Oh, I need suggestions for what to call the tournament… I was thinking the “Data Correction Tournament” (Maybe make the 'll’s in ‘Collection’ slump over to look like 'rr’s & make it a play on words) or something to exhibit protest and/or our cause.

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown

or make the ll’s into bent over fishing rods!

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown

reat idea rick. good thing it is in early June as i believe the commercial quota was met in a couple of weeks last year and the rec estimated quota was hit a few weeks later. Make sure you have DNR there pulling otoliths and such. This may result in the only real number they get for rec landings. Big fish fry at the end would be great!!! I think there should be an award for the largest fish landed and the aggregate / boat.

I’m hoping to have 1,000 fish landed in this tournament, so it might be a little hard finding the biggest one. It is going to be individual entries, so I’m thinking we will do it by aggregate limit.

Right now, I am trying to decide how much the entry fee needs to be. It’s obvious that this tournament’s purpose is for a cause and to support the RFA. I would rather avoid doing cash prizes, and have t-shirts, trophies, food, beverages, and just be able to throw a good party at the end instead. Is there anyone who thinks there needs to be cash prizes?

The RFA is also putting a lot of work into this. They already have some guys willing to donate items to captain’s bags and are helping me brainstorm the name of the tournament. They want it to be something positive… even though I’m kinda liking the ‘data correction’ thing.

The RFA is also going to attempt to contact NOAA in order to offer data collection which anglers will be responsible for reporting. We will see what happens.

With the date set, start spreading the word. I will start a facebook page when the name is finalized.

Hopefully, we can get some of the king mackerel guys to participate for the cause. They could figure out where to find the bait, catch their limit of seabass in 15minutes, and spend the rest of the day scouting kings for the Tailwalker tournament.

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown

potential name “Black Attack” or “Back on Black” “SEDAR ON OUR RADAR”

one more “Black sea bass up to our _ _ _”

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

Catch and release data will be totally blown off by NMFS. They will say we made up numbers.

Florida guys went and caught actual red snapper just before the ban, and the Florida state agency folks helped them get ACTUAL, PHYSICAL evidence of what was out there- otiliths proving age, and commercial weights for each fish. Even that data was blown off.

Some of you must think that these federal agencies actually use common sense and follow the scientific method!!!

The best thing to do here is to raise money or membership for the RFA, a political action organization, pretty much the only national one, that’s been trying to help us.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

If everyone sports a go pro, the catches are documented, right?

Not that anyone will actually take the time to watch 3000 sea bass released…

Rates can’t stay at historic lows forever. Now may be the perfect time to refinance or purchase your dream home. If you or anyone you know may be thinking about home financing please have them contact me! </font id=“blue”>

Your Preferred Mortgage Banker,

Heather Leman
Direct: 843-343-8169
hleman@primelending.com
www.shakeyourbouy.com

If you are looking for donors - send me an email to hleman@primelending.com and I will see if I can get my company to sponsor the “1st Annual SEA BASS SLAUGHTER” LOL

Good.

Rates can’t stay at historic lows forever. Now may be the perfect time to refinance or purchase your dream home. If you or anyone you know may be thinking about home financing please have them contact me! </font id=“blue”>

Your Preferred Mortgage Banker,

Heather Leman
Direct: 843-343-8169
hleman@primelending.com
www.shakeyourbouy.com

Thanks! We really need you to come FISHING!!

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown

ill do it to bring attention to it. whats the entry fee and rules of the tourney?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the mud minnow.