Black Sea Bass Tournament? (gauging interest)

I am president of the Georgetown Marine Industries Association, and am considering doing this. It would be put on by local marine industry partners. I am just curious if enough people would participate…?

We could invite the regulatory agencies to use our harvest for data collection…maybe.

Just trying to feel out the crowd to see if it would be worthwhile.

Would it be biggest fish or most total weight?

Fishb8 (Fish Bait)

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

If you can’t stand behind our soldiers, try standing in front of them.

I’d say aggregate weight. Entries on a per person basis.

It doesn’t seem like many people are interested.

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown
24hr Dispatch: 843-527-4136

“If you were a member, it would be free.”

I would be interested in whatever bottom fishing tournament somebody wants to put on.

I’d suggest a small entry fee with some of the proceeds going to the RFA.

Derby style tournament would get more entrants, but either way would be successfully if done before deer season probably.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

I think the board is just not very active right now. Perhaps you can get this stickeyed, and as things pickup, more interest may be generated.

catch/photo/release tourny?

in all seriousness though, I think there would be a lot of interest in what you’ve described - BSB are a very accessible fish and I think that gives it a wide appeal.

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

catch/photo/release tourny?

BSB are a very accessible fish and I think that gives it a wide appeal.

You are mistaken Sir… The Rocket Surgeons over at the NAASAFMCXTCLSD tell us that they are “OVERFISHED” and undergoing “OVERFISHING”. So how can YOU as a local fisherman say that these poor abused almost extinct sea creatures be as you say…very accessible?? DO YOU KNOW MORE BETTER THAN THE SCIENCE GUYS?? I think NOT! Next you will want to tell me that RED SNAPPER are plentiful…GEEEEEZ!

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Is this some sort of sick joke? :wink:

I’d like to get enough people in it to have a truck load.

I love the rfa idea. Will contact them tomorrow to discuss it. They may be able to help or use this as a fundraising method.

Richie
Sea Tow Georgetown
24hr Dispatch: 843-527-4136

“If you were a member, it would be free.”

Ahh sorry mhebbard, but BSB have become a highly regulated species lately. Yes they are very accessible but have been very scrutinized lately. I am highly interested in such a tournament, but worry about DNR/NMFS speculation. Walk next door and we can discuss . I’ve still got a few days off. We fishing your boat or mine?

Oh yeah, sellsfish, when I was a teenager we went to he BSB banks and caught tons. Of course then you had to clean the things later. I don’t know who is accumulating the data , but they need to actually go out and fish. A minimal size limit maybe okay, but a total limit, really . Doesn’t matter fuel cost is gonna drive us all from our passions . Costs me (**() near a grand for a filliup. Thats some expensive seafood . The total BSB/RS fishery thing is total BS. Additionally I think it interesting that no NMFS / DNR type has not recently ( if ever) tried to explain with proof their stance on his topic

Sshaarda - yea they are beating a dead horse but it makes a really funny sound! Kind of a THUD!

36 Contender Fisharound
Are We There Yet?

Interesting idea.

How about instead of a pounds landed tournament, you go for total number of BSB caught and released?

Then when 20 boats go out and catch 2000 - 3000 BSB you can share the data with the self proclaimed “smartest scientists in the world” that say they don’t exist

Squid Row 2
22 Shamrock WA

Flounder Pounder 2
16 Sandpiper Skiff

That’s a good idea, Squid. That would give them a much better idea of the health of the fishery, rather than every boat bringing in an easy limit. I’ll fish in it.

Edit: Of course we get to keep our limits too :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

Very good idea. Yes keep your 1 fish, but the numbers of release will be crazy. I really have no hope that it would change the Feds position, but it may show the public how absurd the closure is.

But wait. I see it now. The feds come up with some BS mortality rate of fish released so we are still doomed.

But I am game.

A catch 22, for sure!

You wouldn’t even have to use bait! Like I mentioned on another topic, the last sheepshead trip that I went on, I fished for at least an hour with a bare hook, and I was still pulling up c-bass after c-bass as soon as it got anywhere close to the bottom!!

Just sad!!!

“Miss Amanda”
-KeyWest
-Bluewater 2020CC
-Yammy F-150

www.joinrfa.orgGod is GOOD!! ALL the time!!
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor.
The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
</font id=“blue”>

Catch and release data will be totally blown off by NMFS. They will say we made up numbers.

Florida guys went and caught actual red snapper just before the ban, and the Florida state agency folks helped them get ACTUAL, PHYSICAL evidence of what was out there- otiliths proving age, and commercial weights for each fish. Even that data was blown off.

Some of you must think that these federal agencies actually use common sense and follow the scientific method!!!

The best thing to do here is to raise money or membership for the RFA, a political action organization, pretty much the only national one, that’s been trying to help us.

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

Well if you take them out just dont bring them back and at least we will have new dumb@$$es to raise hell at, with the stupid guesstimates they are making into actual data!! Anyone with a badge can write a ticket, Just like these idiots write up the BULL$#!% that they do!! They are a bunch of pencil pushing liars and they know it as well as we do but we don’t control there decisions, they control our actual data and never but it into reality!!! This pisses me off so bad its just bad period for everyone the economy, tackle shops, boat builders, rod/reel suppliers, gas stations, grocery stores,truck sales, etc etc I am sure the list could go on and on by far!!! PATHETIC!!!

Need floors?? Just ask!!!
WWW.KINGFLOORCOVERING.COM

I say we make it an aggregate of the 5 biggest fish or whatever the phuck they allow, raise money for the RFA, and have a kegger and a fish fry afterwards. This should be done to bring attention to this cause. My company will be a sponser. I will kick in 500 bucks.

I say we make it an aggregate of the 5 biggest fish or whatever the phuck they allow, raise money for the RFA, and have a kegger and a fish fry afterwards. This should be done to bring attention to this cause. My company will be a sponser. I will kick in 500 bucks.