Boat Bottom Paint

Where should I go to get this done? 20’ Pathfinder. I can take it where ever. Any recommendations?

Will white bottom paint fade or discolor over time? Should I just stick with black?

Are you wanting hard or ablative paint?

I wanna leave the boat in the water all summer. Whatever lasts. I’m ignorant on this subject.

1 Like

Ablative paint is like a bar of soap. Any thing that tries to grow on it falls off. It’s like a 3 year paint surface prep is pretty simple. If your boat has growth on it , it must be pressure washed off immediately after coming out of the water. If not then it’s easier. Sand the bottom and tape off about 2” above the water line and put the ablative paint on with a 3” roller. The paint dries quickly. I have painted many boats still on the trailer. Park the boat & trailer under a strong tree. Use a come along to lift the bow on the towing eye. Paint and let it dry for 2 hours on a bright sunny day. Then lift the stern the same way. You can do the job in one day. Or pm me. The paint comes in many colors.

Hard bottom paint is much more difficult to apply It uses poisonous ingredients to kill marine growth and is hugely more expensive

I use Petit Hydrocoat

It’s black I tried white first but it didn’t last the season

First time for using your bottom has to be clean and a type of pre coat binder has to be applied before the bottom paint and I can’t think of the name of it ??? Maybe NB knows