Boat Buying Decision- 32 Regulator???

OK- I would like to hear everyones opinions on the 32 Regulator. Has anyone fished one in crappy seas? How does it ride/fish? I am trying to avoid triple engines but looking to smooth out the ride a bit. Suggestions welcomed…

Ed

www.grandstrandsportfishing.net

F350s are great motors?

Be there or be on the Short Bus!!

He took the bait like a bonnethead on a day old crab…

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Regulator makes a great product and BI marine can take good care of you. Without a doubt, one of the finer center consoles you can get in,IMO. Rock solid with a nice entry

Not ridden on the 32 but the 26 ride is great and the guy’s @ Barrier Island Marine are great.

don’t know if you have thought about a cat, but the Freeman 33 is an awesome boat

Why do you want that boat? What power are you looking at?

What other hulls have you looked at?

For that money you can also look at

32 Yellowfin

35 Sea Hunter

33 Contender

I just went through this process which included looking at the 32 Reg.

The F-350’s are pretty amazing motors. They burn a lot of fuel at higher RPM’s but are not that bad at cruise. Of course, you are pushing a good bit of boat with 2 engines, so it is all reletive. There were some 32 Regs with F-250’s on them and I think that is underpowered…

email me and I can give you some more ■■■■■■■■ and pricing…

dirty boots are on - hi di ho

Why wouldn’t you like a comfortable ride with plenty of room like in a Prowler 306?

Though a little smaller, Southport 28cc or TE are great boats and even better rides.

sea hunter and contender are cheap built with little quality. look at used ones and look at stress cracks all over the boat. also rub your hands under the gunnels and get fiberglass splinters in your hand. on the other hand do the same for a yellowfin where quality is much better. then go look at a venture and it blows them all away. the 34 venture is an awesome boat that punishes 4-6 foot waves and at 30 knots with twin f250 yamahas it burns 24-26 gph with full fuel, water and loaded with 5 people. there is a dealer in charleston and you can look at boattraderonline.com for good used ones.

Hey guys- a couple of answers to your questions. First, I am not looking to buy a brand new '08. I just can’t justify loosing 75 grand in one year for a new boat. I am considering an '05-'07 with 250 Four Strokes. I really want to stay under $150k and want the most bang for the buck. I fish almost exclusively offshore (gulf stream)and like to take 3 or 4 people with me when I go. I am not into running 60 mph with my hair on fire and props venting every ten seconds to try and get there a half hour faster; I would just assume leave a little earlier (besides my wife always goes with and she doesn’t like that). I have never been on a Cat hull but would consider one. What are the pitfalls to them? I have heard good things but don’t know anyone with one. Which brand is the best?

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by bhunter

sea hunter and contender are cheap built with little quality. look at used ones and look at stress cracks all over the boat. also rub your hands under the gunnels and get fiberglass splinters in your hand. on the other hand do the same for a yellowfin where quality is much better. then go look at a venture and it blows them all away. the 34 venture is an awesome boat that punishes 4-6 foot waves and at 30 knots with twin f250 yamahas it burns 24-26 gph with full fuel, water and loaded with 5 people. there is a dealer in charleston and you can look at boattraderonline.com for good used ones.

bhunter:
Thanks for posting- the Venture 34 is also on my short list but they seem to be a bit more pricey. Do you feel it rides better than the 32 Reg or some of the Cat hulls? Would it be worth the extra change?

Ed

Cats can be great riding hulls offshore in the hands of an experienced helmsman. They make for a fairly soft ride and can be very fuel efficient. I wouldn’t want to be on one tho with a inexperienced helmsman in any kind of adverse conditons. Thier not nearly as forgiving as a v hull in that aspect.

Jut my opinion on them, after spending a night in the Pacific hanging onto the bottom of one!

Russ Broward

quote:
Originally posted by splitdecision

Why wouldn’t you like a comfortable ride with plenty of room like in a Prowler 306?

[size=5]SlitD- so I went to Prowlers website and this was the first thing I see

I am really looking for something a little more firmly planted:smiley: All joking aside- looks like a nice boat.

Ed

Own a '05 32 Regulator, if your not buying a small sporty this is the best CC on the market. Great flare, great entry, and built heavy for comfort. The 32’s hull is set up like a true Carolina boat not a florida “Smoker Chaser” (contender, yellowfin, etc.) If you have enough “gold chains” those would be the boat for you. We do 30 kts in 4-6 seas all day long with a very pleasing ride. The 250’s are underpowered, I have the 300’s and they do very well. At cruise (32kts) they burn 28 gal/hr, to the 380 and back all day 145 gallons. Also raises fish, have caught many bills including 118" blue last season. Boat is actually for sale BI has listing, if don’t sell by Sept. going to have a tower built onto it. GREAT BLUEWATER BOAT!!!

Carl Owens

here is your answer. i sold my glacier bay cat to buy my 2000 venture. i kept my cat for a little over a year. good riding boat overall, but has some pitfalls. rolls in quatering seas, terrible in following seas. can also flip on you if you bury the front end in water. sides are high, this is both good and bad. good in that it helps keep you dry. bad in working fish beside the boat, especially big fish you are trying to release. they are also good on fuel economy burning 13-15 gph with twin 150 yamahas as 30 mph. another factor is you will find is it does not run like a v hull, this was the biggest fault that i could not stand. when coming off a wave you don’t know whether it will pitch left or right depends on how it catches the wave. boat also has great fish boxes and storage. very small and cramped center console with head you have to be 3-4 ft tall to use. however i would choose it over a regualtor, contender , or seahunt everyday. you might consider looking in florida for a yellowfin or venture and pick up a great deal. i bought mine for 77,000, sold my old motors and electronics and completely refurbished the boat and all i have in mine is 130 and that includes a trailer.

quote:
Originally posted by Geechee Tiger

Own a '05 32 Regulator, if your not buying a small sporty this is the best CC on the market. Great flare, great entry, and built heavy for comfort. The 32’s hull is set up like a true Carolina boat not a florida “Smoker Chaser” (contender, yellowfin, etc.) If you have enough “gold chains” those would be the boat for you. We do 30 kts in 4-6 seas all day long with a very pleasing ride. The 250’s are underpowered, I have the 300’s and they do very well. At cruise (32kts) they burn 28 gal/hr, to the 380 and back all day 145 gallons. Also raises fish, have caught many bills including 118" blue last season. Boat is actually for sale BI has listing, if don’t sell by Sept. going to have a tower built onto it. GREAT BLUEWATER BOAT!!!

Carl Owens

Carl:

Is this one yours?

Very Nice looking. When you say with the 250s the boat is underpowered, what is the problem (i.e. cruise speed, hole shot,or bigger issues such as cresting waves in a following sea)?

Ed

yep, that’s it. The 250’s are a little slow getting out the hole. The boat weighs 13,000lbs loaded so you have to push the 250’s a little harder than the 300’s to run on cruise, so fuel effic. is not that differ, I just like having that little bit more power back there, personally. And I think they have a little more rumble also

Carl Owens

A few weeks back got caught in that bad storm with the hail and 50-60mph warning in the harbor. We had to wait it out offshore but came in with a following 5-6ft+ doing 32 kts all the way to the “Rocks” still able to drink cold beer, before we had to wait out the Perfect Storm!

Carl Owens

Is this a report?

quote:
Originally posted by Striker

Is this a report?

No it is NOT! But more people read this than the boat section and those responding are interested in the topic and have the experiences of which I am needing advice from.

Man, there are some grumpy people on this site!!! If you don’t like my thread, don’t read it… It is clearly labeled “Boat Buying Decision” so that you would not waste your time on it. Ticked off that you are not fishing today or just a prick in general?

Ed