Boat Cleaner/Wax

How important is it to have the boat “luke-warm to touch” to do a cleaning then waxing? The Collonite 870 and 920 both specifically say for the boat to be luke-warm to touch…

With the trailer almost completely rebuilt, I’m about to get the boat clean this week if possible!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

I have tried both of those collinites
and felt like they were really hard to apply - and you have the temp recommendation. I think that’s so it’s easier to spread and it seeps into a warm surface better than cold. I applied it on a cooler day and thought it turned out a bit splotchy…

This year I Tried McGuire’s in blue bottle and thought it was easier to use and gave good uniform results, smells good too. One good wax lasted pretty well, uncovered most of the season. Did touch ups with the speed detailer spray. Have fun!! Lol

============
282 GW Sailfish

Thanks for the reply, it was definitely not fun, LOL… got it cleaned with “On n Off” because the 920 wasn’t removing enough of the Cooper River tan line stain… going to try the fleetwax this afternoon and get her shined up!

Fishing Nerd

We use collonite products a lot. Actually just 2 mainly, fleetwax or insulator wax. We get great results with them. Typically use 3M imperial compound to remove oxidation.

Coastal Services HVAC, LLC
Sales, Service and Installation
843-822-0915

G & W Boatworks, LLC
Detailing & Bottom Painting
843-991-1495

I have had good results with 3M cleaner wax. If the boat is really faded I use the 3M restorer wax, it has a little more cutting compound in the mix.

ZX

Coming along nicely… now to fishing the trailer! By mid-week next week my work here shall be done!

Fishing Nerd

Looks good Stumpnocker. I’m about to do the same to the inside of mine, seems like a lot more area to do. Also I read an article written by a detailer saying to put two coats of Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF on first then follow with the Collinite wax. This guy said the Starbrite is not polish at all but a teflon sealer. He didn’t mention the temp but said he recommended putting the Collinite on with a machine becaise it was hard to apply. I don’t know if this helps as it looks like you are there. I am in the process but haven’t got to the Collinite yet. He said the Collinite will last a whole year as long as you don’t put harsh soap on it, recommended boat wash.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

I’ve had great results with colinite. Last far longer than anything I’ve tried

quote:
Originally posted by Head East

Looks good Stumpnocker. I’m about to do the same to the inside of mine, seems like a lot more area to do. Also I read an article written by a detailer saying to put two coats of Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF on first then follow with the Collinite wax. This guy said the Starbrite is not polish at all but a teflon sealer. He didn’t mention the temp but said he recommended putting the Collinite on with a machine becaise it was hard to apply. I don’t know if this helps as it looks like you are there. I am in the process but haven’t got to the Collinite yet. He said the Collinite will last a whole year as long as you don’t put harsh soap on it, recommended boat wash.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

Did the article say to apply polish first, then follow-up with the Teflon Sealer?

Clem he said to apply the Starbrite marine polish with PTEF first. In fact he said apply a coat of it and wait a week then another coat of the PTEF then apply the Collinite. The article was really informative, it was on fiberglassics.com and called restoring gelcote. I don’t know if it’s still there but the guy went into detail about the whole process from wet sanding if needed to the finished product. It’s long but a good read.

Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”