Boat collision in the harbor

looks Watermon has it all figured out… with compliments!

King Fish
31’ Fountain
DI, SC

Most important rule of all, Tonnage allways prevails!

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

This is a very good example where the need for a “boat operator license” is needed so ever one on the water knows or has some understanding of the rules of the road. Just because someone has the cash to buy a boat does not mean he, or she, knows how to handle it. I hate more regulation, but lets think water safety, too much fun out there to let an accident slow the fun down or put a stop to it!!

Does anyone know the credentials of the 2 “captains” involved?
Or really exactly what led up to the mishap? I’m reading a lot of assumptions…

King Fish
31’ Fountain
DI, SC

More licenses are not the answer. That is just another way for the government to collect more money from us. I see idiots every day driving cars that have no business driving (talking on phone, texting, just incompetent). But I’m sure they all have a license. Go on google and you can find all the stories you want regarding commercial and even naval collision. I’m sure those captains all had licenses. What about that idiot Italian captain that ran his cruise ship on the rocks. I remember a year or two ago a coast guard crew in California killed a boy while running at night.

Running in the dark is dangerous. You can’t trust your eyes, you better be focused on your radar. It is so hard to tell how far away lights really are. Is it a dim light or is it far way.

I am interested to hear the facts but stuff happens, it always has and always will.

I love big bay creek…

I doubt that a license requirement is going to happen, and I’m not sure that it should, but it does seem like there should be some way to at least make sure your average recreational boater knows the basic rules. I’m not the most experienced boater by any means, but sometimes I’m appalled by the idiots out there. Can’t tell you how many times I had to slow/stop in the channel yesterday on my way in.

I happen to know the “Rules” backwards and forwards because of my job, but even if everyone knew what to do in a basic crossing situation and what running lights look like from various aspects it would go a long way.

Angler 204 FX
Yamaha 150

Licensing may not be the answer, but some boater education I think is. Be in Shem Creek on a week day afternoon and see who knows any of the rules of the road, or for that matter, simple manners and respect for other boaters. Maybe boat dealers could give new owners a check ride or sea trial before handing them the keys.

Ill second that check ride opon purchase of boat! Any one that takes the helm on my boat gets a lecture from me and an open eye for a while! I think the DNR now has an exam that must be taken by youngsters be for takein the helm! Ma be it might work for adults.

100% with Adamada, the license itself is not the issue it’s ther fact that any jack leg can buy any size vessel and not have a clue as to the rules of the road so to speak. The lack of any type of qualifications is sad. As for the government making money off licensing, you need to wake up and smell the salt!

quote:
Originally posted by watermon

Too bad.
Shame that any jack wagon can go down and purchase a 50 knot “race boat” that has been set up for fishing and use it with absolutely no training or experience at all The worst are the ones that “think they have experience”. 20 weekends a year…not even close. Throw in a few beers, no lookouts, limited visability, hangover from the night before ect ect you have the accident waiting to happen.

Or be the professional capt of a large high speed sport fishing battle wagon - they can be jack wagons as well. So far, the most dangerous place I found in the harbor is on the Ashley, from the battery up to the no wake zone, at about 5:30 on a Saturday evening.

Its fun running up river in a 18’er with the wife and kids doing 20kts only to be passed by 50’ers running 35kts++ - at a distance of about 20 yards.

Licensing is not the answer… You can’t pass a new law every time someone get’s into an accident, or we would have no freedoms left. It would be one thing if these accidents were an epidemic, but they are typically rare and isolated incidents relative to the amount of boaters out there.

It would be preventitve maintaince so to speak. I honestly feel that someone greater than us has to mandate some type of training or whatever you want to call it. Money is not the answer for stupidity

SAKattack, I dont know the credentials for both but I do know the guy in the smaller boat is a tug operator out of Connecticut for 2 weeks a month. Not saying he is the more qualified of the two boaters, just stating a fact. There are plenty of rules and reg’s out there the problem is people don’t know them all until mister DRN or Coast Guard gives them a ticket. Lets just slow down and look out for the other guy. A little courtesy will go a long way.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Opps,
Thats the point I would like to make. “Accidents” do happen… no matter if they are captains or weekend fisherman… big/fast boats or small/slow. We all need to just slow down in low vis area’s and pay more attention. People are quick to judge without knowing all the facts.

King Fish
31’ Fountain
DI, SC

What makes anyone think that this collision could have been prevented even if they were both licensed? Don’t give the government complete control of your lives because of fear. You can die from running with a pencil. Should we make people get a license to run?

More regulation is hardly ever the answer.

Not enough facts but it will get resolved and those responsible will pay. More regulation is not the answer. If someone acted criminally, they can do the time and that can be the detriment for others to slow down, pay attention and have proper nightime running equipment. Common sense goes a lomng way in this world but you can’t get a license for it.

SC BASEBALL
THE PRIDE OF THE SEC
Ne SALTYNUTS PAS

My 2 biggest complaints with running in the dark are boats the ones that follow too close in our wake to get a better ride and the ones that decide to run a different course and decide to pass close across our bow instead of safely aft.Both situations are disasters looking for a place to happen.

“Modern day Robin Hoodism-Steal from the sucessful and give to the poorly motivated.”