Boat collision in the harbor

When headed through the harbor on our way offshore Saturday morning (approx. 5:45) we heard a boat calling the Coast Guard to say they witnessed a collsion b/t two center consoles.

There was a good bit of radio chatter b/t the Coast Guard and the sportfish (I believe it was named Reel Hooker) regarding location, injuries, damage, etc.

The Reel Hooker said one of the injured had holes in his face, but it didn’t sound as though any of the injuries were life threatening or that the Coast guard was dispatched to the scene. I believe they said one of the boats was a 25’ Parker.

Anyone know what happened

I was just looking for more details on the accident. I figured it would have a ten page forum already. I believe the cause was a 31 contender called the bushwacker? They ran into the back of a boat that was following the reel hooker out. The guys were possibly taken by helicopter to the hospital. One guys face went through the radar screen destroying his face and teeth. Another guy had a bunch of broken ribs. Anyone have the insight to the accident or corrections to my story?

I would like to know the “whole” story but it sounded like the contender grossly misjudged the speed of the boat in front of them or lost control while going over the wake of the reel hooker.

There is a reason you shouldn’t run fast in the early morning. I know I have been passed by cc running 40+ Knts in the morning while I’m running a 70’ sport fish with every electronic from radar, FLIR and night vision. I normally only run 20 Knts or less until the first crack of light even in a 40 knt fully loaded sport fish.

Hopefully a few people will learn from this accident. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched this almost happen. Hopefully the guys are making a full recovery.

Check your running lights and carry a few red,green and white glow sticks in you boat just in case your lights burn out.

PS ambient lighting such as cockpit lights and deck lights make your boat much more visible while the fleet is running out in the dark.

Tight lines,
Michael Mattson
843-224-3542
captmattson@aol.com
www.lowcountrysportfishing.com

I agree. The most nerve racking part of my day is getting out of the harbor in the early morning light, or lack there of. We all need to pat very close attention and remember that an extra few min of fishing time is not worth a life.

Sorry to hear about this. Folks need to realize that following another boat is a disaster waiting to happen. At the very least they need to follow formation flying type rules, staying to one side of the guy in front. If anything happens to slow the front boat, it only takes seconds to close the distance with possibly bad results. If you are 100 feet behind the guy in front, you hit him in 3 seconds if he comes to a stop and you are only running 20 mph. 3 seconds is barely enough time to realize he has slowed, much less react, especially in poor visibility.

Wishing those folks a speedy recovery.

Tidewater 196DC
Yamaha F115

Pungo 120

Surprised to not see anything in the paper Sunday. Heard it was a tbone, but maybe misunderstood.

Always put someone on “contender watch” during FFM weekend. Harbor gets a little too crazy that weekend. I find those weekends where it’s a little dustier than forecast worrisome with boats idling offshore debating what to do and some on a kamakaze run back through the fleet.

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean.

the accident occured near the range tower and Castle Pinkney…not in the middle of the channel

I hope everyone involved is going to be ok.

This is exactly why I dont leave until about 20 min before sunrise and if I have to run in the dark I only go a little over planing speed. These guys could be great at running in the dark, but all it takes is one tiny mistake.

And my crew wonders why i am as nervous as a whore in church,during our early morning runs.

Hope all recover to fish another.

Don’t know the whole story either, but don’t think he ran into the back the boat. From what I was told the other boat hit the contender on the port side bow area. There was serious damage to the contender from the pics I saw. This would also mean he came from the other boat’s starboard side which would have given the contender the right of way. I was also told the other boat only had the stern light operating. Those folks were lucky, the outcome could have been much worse!

Can you post the pics?

I saw the other boat this evening while fueling up at Ripley. The contender hit it near the starboard stern corner and rode up the side of the boat towards the bow. Who had right of way …don’t know

Do not have pics, saw them on a friends phone. I was just posting the info I got!

quote:
Originally posted by wet therapy

Do not have pics, saw them on a friends phone. I was just posting the info I got!

Mr. ken suggs? It's Hunter.

I’m a high class redneck.

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in pfgs and buffs.

Never assume right of way. What it comes down to operating a vessel is that you must take all required actions to avoid a collision. Saying “I had right of way” after a collision will not hold any water if it is deemed that you could have taken action to avoid the collision.

If you are being overtaken, maintain course and speed and be prepared to maneuver depending on the action of the other boat to avoid collision. In an approaching situation, use the right of way but understand not every boater knows this. When in doubt slow down or stop.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

quote:
Originally posted by hairball

When in doubt slow down or stop.

AMEN!!!

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
[i] When in doubt slow down or stop.

Iain Pelto
Native Manta Ray 14

Been doing a lot more of that lately, as the “recreating” season is now in full swing!

Running thru a harbor or river with limited Viz (dark or fog) is a good time to have all on their feet with their eyes open. (and tell them what they can be looking for)
Bean bags are welcome but wait until the boat clears the jetty and traffic is easily picked up by the operator and at least one other person before sacking out.
In dense fog I have someone forward away from the motor noise to listen as well as sight things (center console boat).
Having someone bending your ear about stuff that can wait until later is distracting to the operator too.
Boats hit things that have been stationary since the beginning of time.

Unless it’s Pamela Anderson who is distracting you, there is no excuse. (it’s in the CFR’s…:slight_smile:

quote:

Never assume right of way. What it comes down to operating a vessel is that you must take all required actions to avoid a collision. Saying “I had right of way” after a collision will not hold any water if it is deemed that you could have taken action to avoid the collision.

If you are being overtaken, maintain course and speed and be prepared to maneuver depending on the action of the other boat to avoid collision. In an approaching situation, use the right of way but understand not every boater knows this. When in doubt slow down or stop.

Iain Pelto
Native Manta Ray 14

Technically there is no "right of way" in the inland navigation rules. There is only the concept of a "stand on" vessel and a "giveway" vessel. If you are the "stand on" vessel, you have the DUTY to maintain course and speed until it becomes clear that the "giveway" vessel is not doing what he should to avoid collision and then it is your RESPONSIBILITY to avoid collision. In the case of a true "right of way" scenario, you would NOT be required to maintain course and speed (e.g you could turn or slow down), only have the option to... Slight difference, but the COLREGS are pretty clear about it that you do not have the authority to assume any kind of right of way and that your duty is to avoid collision.

While I will agree that it seems a subtle difference, I think that the whole point of using the terminology is that “right of way” is presumptuous, and that nobody should presume any sort of right of way and that it’s everyone’s duty to avoid collision (not stand their ground).

*** Exception to the rule:

ii) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(i) and Rule 14(a), a power-driven vessel operating in narrow channels or fairways on the Great Lakes, Western

quote:

In an approaching situation, use the right of way but understand not every boater vehicle operator knows this. When in doubt slow down or stop.

This not just true for on the water. I get really annoyed when other boaters fail to give way or follow simple rules of passing on the left in a head on situation - but I deal with each situation like I’m responsible for avoiding a collision.

But what really puts fire in my shorts is on-the-road or highway idiots. Drivers will have a pile of trash, parked car, pedestrian, bicyclist, piece of construction equipment in their lane of travel and they are the driver that is supposed to brake and slow and give right of way to approaching traffic - but so few do.

Drivers will simply drive into your lane of traffic and expect you to stop while they drive around the road obstruction. If you don’t stop - you’re going to be in a head-on collision. Bunch of idiots.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 17 year old
1 - 13 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Too bad.
Shame that any jack wagon can go down and purchase a 50 knot “race boat” that has been set up for fishing and use it with absolutely no training or experience at all The worst are the ones that “think they have experience”. 20 weekends a year…not even close. Throw in a few beers, no lookouts, limited visability, hangover from the night before ect ect you have the accident waiting to happen.

Here are the rules.

( that in a survey 87% of recreational boater failed)

PART B - STEERING AND SAILING RULES

Section | Subpart I - Conduct of Vessels in Any Condition of Visibility.
Rule 4 - Application Return to the top of the page

Rules in this section apply to any condition of visibility.

Rule 5 - Lookout Return to the top of the page

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Rule 6 - Safe Speed Return to the top of the page
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account:

(a) By all vessels:

(i) The state of visibility;
(ii) The traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels;
(iii) The manageability of the vessel with special reference to stopping distance and turning ability in the prevailing conditions;
(iv) At night, the presence of background light such as from shore lights or from back scatter from her own lights;
(v) The state of wind, sea and current, and the proximity of navigational hazards;
(vi) The draft in relation to the available depth of water.

(b) Additionally, by vessels with operational radar:

(i) The characteristics, efficiency and limitations