boat painting

Don’t do black. My last boat was navy and it was a constant project to keep the hull shining. You really need to wax it 4 times a year to keep the oxidation away. I will never have a dark colored boat again.

I’ve done a number of boats with Bobby Gelkin and a Black Jeep I’ve always been please with his work and very fair pricing. I also have a guy here at my shop that will do it for a great price. Bobby’s number is 8438815512. If you want to speak to Stuart out here at my shop give me a call and pull the boat out here. He has just done his boat and I have a flats boat stored here he did.

Gordon Platt
843-345-9859

www.charlestonboat.com

If/when you do it, post pictures, curious to see what a 16’ KW looks like black. You doing the inside black as well?

just the outside blach and maybe the very bottom white or cream looking the inside will be eiither white or cream. went to west marine today and for everything i need itll be about $280 but ima shop arouund for the wax remover.

16 keywest flats w/2s 60yam

If you do sprY it and you already have a compressor you can get a cheap spray gun at harbor frieght tools.

197 poinneer f150

Waves 1-3, 4am The Shocker east bound and down
Ever think that some people just shouldnt be on the water, but hey its funny for the rest of us!

I know everyone has their own reasons for doing somethings but my ? is why black.

Double D.

sick of seeing yellow white and blue. and theres not to many diffrent color boat paints so ima go with black! i like the way it looks. not to many people have black.

I see what ya mean,thanks for clearing it up,good luck with your project.

Double D.

if you are going to do it yourself, and do not have experience using awlgrip, DO NOT BUY awlgrip
buy a paint callled interlux perfection
it is a 2 part catalyzed urethane paint, very similar in durability to awlgrip, but much more user friendly

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

I am having my 24ft CC painted black any day now in Columbia.
Marine Pro in Irmo is doing it for a great price. Nothing prettier than a black boat.

Rick

Rick
23 Center Console
Twin 135s
“Dirty Money”

my boss just recently painted his boat and told me to use the interlux and not the awlgrip.

As said, definitly use the interlux over awlgrip, MUCH better product for doing it yourself.

Russ B.
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

There is a reason you don’t see many boats that are black. Trust me on this one. If you decide to go ahead with it, just be aware of what you are getting into. As I stated before, I owned a dark navy blue boat for 5 years. It was a “high end” boat and the time spent keeping the hull shining was intense. For a 16 foot boat, it might be doable, but for the guy that is going to do it on his 24, I would think twice about that.

I have heard that painting v. gelcoat is a little easier to maintain. I am not sure if you can wet sand paint. I would imagine that you cannot. I pretty much had to wet sand my boat every 18 months to keep it shining. It needed to be done every year, but I didn’t want to do it that often.

Every person I know that has had a navy or black boat says that they will never own another one. Me personally, I will never own a colored hull again. White actually sticks out now b/c of all of the colored hulls.