boat painting

hey guys im thinking about painting my boat here pretty soon before the weather starts geting hot again. I was looking for some basic suggestions. I have a 16 foot keywest its not a yacht so im not looking for show detail. one qs would be is that im looking at painting the hull black, ive heard that black dosnt last too long in our saltwater down here but yet I saw alot of black boats at the boat show. I called and asked for prices to get it professionaly painted but im not forkin out 3 grand. ive never painted anything but a birdhouse in cub scouts when i was like 5 so any little tip would help or any website yall know about would be apreciated. thanx.

16 keywest flats w/2s 60yam

Check Classicmako.com, look through a few of the “projects”, ask some ?s. Those guys will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Not looking for show detail on your first attempt will surely be to your advantage.

The cost of Liberty, is eternal vigilance!!

Have you contacted Bobby Gelkins @ G-craft in Awendaw??

21 Contender

i called a guy in goosecreek and the boat paint place in hollywood. ill find out about that guy in awendaw

If you think black cars are a pain maintain, your in for a ride with a black hulled boat. Not to mention that the extra absorbed heat can cause the gel coat to craze.

Iain Pelto
Edgewater 185CC “Jumpin’ Bean II”

look up pura vida boat boatworks in james island. on signal point road. right nest to dukes marine. they are great. do great work and not too pricey. The building that they are in has everything from paint work to engine work. and oswald propelly can build anything out of aluminum.

197 poinneer f150

Waves 1-3, 4am The Shocker east bound and down
Ever think that some people just shouldnt be on the water, but hey its funny for the rest of us!

BTW if you do paint your boat yourself. take a little extra time with the prep work. thats what make the difference. Use awlgrip paints. you can roll it on with the right reducers or spray. Rolling it on sometimes can give you that orange peel look though. Either way, Awlgrip paints make it easy to do. Plus its an epoxy paint that wont fade easily over time unlike gelcoat.

197 poinneer f150

Waves 1-3, 4am The Shocker east bound and down
Ever think that some people just shouldnt be on the water, but hey its funny for the rest of us!

awesome

Sorry to have mislead you. Judging from your first post, I thought you were thinking about a do it yourself project? Not looking for a professional. Now go bust somebody else’s chops! Seeya, Scott

quote:
Originally posted by bustn-yo-chops

awesome

I gotta be the one to ask, but are you stating that you have a 16 foot flats boat with twin 60 hp motors? If so, wtf is the purpose? Wouldn't a 90 hp single engine do the same, if not more?:question:

Mixe Nutz I am thinking he has a 2 stroke Yamaha 60. But that’s just a guess.

21’ Sea-Pro CC
Yamaha 150
“Aquaholic”
2008 Dodge Ram Mega-Cab 4x4 6.7 Cummins

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
Ernest Hemingway

2 stroke buddy and yeah i was plannin to do it myself unless i can find a good price

Dang, I’m an idiot!:face_with_head_bandage::dizzy_face:

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Pretty sharp early in tha morning, You going duck hunting or what? Get some sleep, the Kool Aid will wear off.

If you’re going to do it your self, you need to spray it on, not roll.

However, I would seriously consider paying someone to do it. Otherwise it’ll be a project that goes well into the warm weather and you’ll be wishing you had just paid to have it done right.

When considering cost, factor in your time. My time is worth more than what my work pays me. Multiply that by the number of hours you think this job is going to take you. Add any tools you’ll have to buy (sprayer, compressor, etc.), and then add in the cost of paint, clearcoat, tape, drop cloths, sanding materials. You might realize that $3k is a deal.

KeyWest 1720cc 90 Ymha

Wrap it !!!

Catch’m up!
Monty
1981/09 25 Blackfin Combi

if you do al the prep yourself, and take it to hydro craf in goose creek, it probably be much less expensive.

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

I am with Bluephoria, have you looked into a black marine grade vinyl wrap?

no i didnt think about a wrap but even if i did the wrap id still need to paint the inside which is what needs it the most. but thats a good idea. ill still look into it it mite last longer then paint too!

quote:
Originally posted by Ithaca37
quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

Pretty sharp early in tha morning, You going duck hunting or what? Get some sleep, the Kool Aid will wear off.

That's my problem, I've been in the house all weekend! No work makes Jr. an Idiot! Especially when he can't find his glasses!! And the Kool-Aid pot was turned off by mistake!!:frowning_face: