Boat trailer brakes in salt water

</font id=“size6”>I had a boat trailer with hydraulic disc brakes. Even after washing it down with fresh water after each use, the pistons froze and the pads seized on the rusty rotors and wouldn’t release. I had to remove the tires to get to it and beat the rotor to release and disable the brakes. What good are brakes on a salt water boat trailer? is there a special rotor that will spring separate the pads from the rotor. I have sold that rig and the new one has brakes that i can access the pads from above and separate the pads from the rotor with a screw driver after each use. I expect that the cylinders will freeze up like the other trailer eventually What is your experiences?

I had the same setup on my old boat and wound up removing it all and tack welding the tongue hitch. They just dissintegrated to the point that the wheel barely turned. Spoke to Fields Ornamental about the brakes and they basically said since we don’t have fresh water rinse at our landings it would just do it again if replaced. Leaf springs catch hell, also. I did more repair on my traler due to salt than I ever did on my boat. Salt water always wins.

If your boat pulls fine without the brakes (mine did), I’d just remove them when they go south on you.

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

I am pretty sure that most states require brakes for anything over 3000 pounds.

Stainless Kodiak! Calipers, pad backing, rotors, the whole nine yards. And like any equipment experiencing hard service - regular preventive maintenance. Wait until it breaks to fix it, you will get to fix it …

I got 4 years of service out of my brakes before replacing the completely wore out pads. On the subject of them freezing up, after backing up to park pull forward and release the pressure in the brake system. That should do the trick. I agree that brakes and salt water don’t mix however the one time you need them ( some jackass pulls out in front of you) they are worth the trouble.

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13

quote:
Originally posted by In Pursuit

I got 4 years of service out of my brakes before replacing the completely wore out pads. On the subject of them freezing up, after backing up to park pull forward and release the pressure in the brake system. That should do the trick. I agree that brakes and salt water don’t mix however the one time you need them ( some jackass pulls out in front of you) they are worth the trouble.

GW 232GT Gulfstream
150Yam x 2
“3rd Day”
Gen. Chap.1 Vs.9-13

When I release the brakes, the pressure should come off, but the pads do not spread. Apparently the cylinders froze on both sides and the rotor rust held tight to the pads. I skidded the trailer with the boat a quarter of a mile on a morrill road then some on a paved road trying to break loose before giving up and removing tire and beating it free with a hammer and chisel. Thanks for all replies.

Is this fun or what?

We had the same problem on our trailer. we left them until they got so bad you could barely pull the trailer and we cut them off with a grinder.

Three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Have to agree with Reelly Old. I have the Kodiac stainless setup on all 3 of my axles. This is my 5th season with this trailer and close to 30,000 miles and the rotors look brand new and I just replaced the pads and they were about 1/2 way used up. Spend the money the first time then you can spend time on the boat and not on the side of the road

Grady 282
A-Salt Weapon