Boating stuff, things you do or don't

What are some of the things you do to your boat or trailer … And maintenance tips??
Picture didn’t come out. I have 2 water separators/filters with a valve so I can switch from one to the other if needed.

I always chain my crank handle weather Park the house or on the truck at the landing. Also moved the Jack back so I can have the tailgate down to haul a bike at the same time.

Yeah I know it’s time to clean up the battery’s.
Think I must have left something turned on and the switch turned to all on the cranking batteries. Had to charge them Saturday before I went out Sunday.

Someone a while back posted about these batteries. wondering if you pull the trigger on 1. Or anyone here has experience with them.
Very happy with the batteries I have now. I can run all day with the trolling motor no problem. But they’re going on 5 years old. Thinking about replacing in the near future.

1 Like

@Offthechain i did some research on the li-Po and Li-ion batteries earlier this year. The goal was to identify one battery to replace two 12v TM batteries. The initial info was impressive. Pretty much less than half the weight and twice the run time. There are PLENTY of manufacturers to choose from so I attended Bass Master Classic exhibit hall in Greenville this passed Feb. Talking to the Pros helped. You should use the battery charger from the manufacturer. Some include the charger in the purchase and some do not. There is typically a 10 year warranty. Which puzzled me. How can you offer a 10 year warranty on something that hasn’t been out that long….turns out the warranty is based on the number of charge cycles. Each battery has an microcontroller with BLE that allows you to monitor stats. This controller also acts as a fuse to break the circuit in the event of a meltdown (fire). The risk here is that the battery can catch on fire at the top end (fully charged) and bottom end (fully discharged). It’s the controller and chargers job to prevent a meltdown from happening. I had a li-po battery catch fire on me several years ago for my drone and I could not put it out….even with with a fire extinguisher. I have decided to hold off on purchase to let the tech mature a little more and see what manufacturers stay in business. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Only mod for my trailer is I made a double wood step to make it easier to get on & off the boat when I am unloading or loading by myself. I’m short so this makes it so I’m not belly crawling onto the bow.
I plan to service my hubs & inspect all my trailer & boat wiring this fall.

Good info on that battery.
Definitely think I will stay away from that idea for a while.

I use the top of the Jack as a step. One of these days that’s bite me.

Here are my mods….My boat is a Fishing Mo’sheen!!! Hopefully the site will agree. Either way I love my boat!

Rod holder and side mount for Lowrance, additional switches, and talon remote. Probably not typically done with 3D printing though. Lol

I added a +/- bus bar. First one I have ever installed out of the 3 boats I’ve owned. Kicking myself for not doing it in the other boats!

A stump popped my transom saver off while fishing crappie this past spring. I have replacement on back order until then I’ll use this setup. It’s adjustable so I now get readings at full speed.

Handle extension. Again not typically done with 3D printing but it works!