Boga or others?

Does anyone out there use one of the cheaper Boga-like fish grips? The real deal ones are so expensive and I’m prone to losing things. Amazon has a “Gambler Evolution” for about $20. Thanks.

I tried just about every knockoff version of the Boga before I splurged and bought the real thing. They’d usually last a month or two before they were so corroded and rusted that I had to throw them away.

The real deal is worth it due to the quality of the metal and precision of the scale. I leave mine on the boat or in my offshore tackle bag, put them up wet and let them sit for days at a time and they still work like new. I try to rinse them with fresh water once a week and oil them every couple months when I think about it. I have no doubt they’ll last for a loooong time just as long as I don’t lose them.

I saw the Bogas are made in the good ole USA so that’s a bonus. Just hard for me to swing $125 for a fish gripper/scale!

I am not proposing that these are in any way to Bogas but, an inexpensive gripper that has worked extremely well for me are these Fish Grippers. I carry some on my boat and kayak. They float, are durable and work on most fish. May not work on big off-shore stuff but they work on everything I have tried inshore.

http://kayakfishinggear.com/thefishgrip-madeintheusa-newcolorspinkandglowinthedark.aspx

The boga is worth it. They are expensive but will last. Make sure you attach a float to them.

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

I bought a pair like DFreedom suggested from haddrels and like them. They don’t take up near the room, are very light and float. They don’t have a scale, but for the money, you cant beat it. Its kind of like the power pole vs stick-it debate. I can’t see myself paying that much extra for something that will do the same job.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
I can't see myself paying that much extra for something that will do the same job.

Me either :smiley: To each their own though. I’ve never seen the need for the device myself. Most fish I just land by hand, sometimes I use the net, sometimes a gaff if it’s going in the box, but never seen the need for $120 fish lifter. Not as long as I’ve got one good hand :smiley:

To the original question, there is no comparison in quality. The Boga is a well made piece of equipment, if you feel the need. I’ve got a Berkley knock off someone gave me that looks like junk. I’ve never used it, if anyone wants it, it’s free.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I have the Berkley knockoff that Cracker speaks of,I have had and used it for about 12yrs, works fine for what I use it for. I wash it along with the boat, spray a lil wd-40 . Most of the time I net fish to get them in before the excited angler rips the lips off,then will use the grip to get a handle on the fish,most folks like to hold the grip and then the tail for a photo.I also use a glove to grip the fish for a good release,to make sure the larger fish are back safe.

</font id=“size4”>We bought a knock-off pair of em at booty’s bout 4 or 5 years ago we leavem clipped to the t-top and have never had any problems with em. The only thing that has happened was that the weight strip on the handle has fallen off. But they are so expensive. What makes em so expensive?

-gone fishin

I know at the infamous wally world they have a mustad one for about 20$ and rapala has one online with a scale for $25. I wanna get one, but ill definitely get a cheap set first to make sure I like it

Yakman, send me your address and I’ll send you a birthday present. I’ve got a Berkley/Bass Pro with a scale that’s never been used.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I will agree that it is non-essential for most folks. All I’m saying is that I was able to lift and hang a 21.5 pound barracuda today with no worries of it biting me. I didn’t have to stick a gaff in it and kill it plus I’m confident in the 21.5 pound measure. As far as simply lifting small fish, those knock off ones work well, just make sure to clean the heck out of them.

Ive had my boga for 5 or 6 years and it still works like a champ. I cant remember ever washing it off or and maintance done to mine. Buy it right the first time and you will save money in the long run. Just make sure you put a float on it. Mine has gone in the drink numerous times…floats right back up with the appropriate float.

Reel Shallow Charters
Capt Justin Hubbard
843-327-7563
www.reelshallowcharters.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Shallow-Charters/285675628125080
http://www.haddrellspoint.com

Ok Mr. Sir cracker Larry sir! Capt Justin, can you buy the “official” lookin floats at HPT?
Also is their a way to adjust the scale if its not quite accurate?

On the way to you, Yakman. Happy birthday:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton

^^^Pretty cool right there^^^

By the way, Larry, West Marine (Bft) has a Rule 2000 GPH with my name on it:smiley:!

Thanks,

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

Just paying it forward, Glenn:smiley:

quote:
By the way, Larry, West Marine (Bft) has a Rule 2000 GPH with my name on it!

:sunglasses: no problem.

Capt. Larry Teuton

yakman72 we have made some flaots that will float the boga, tried and true. ask me how i know. haha. you can send the boga back to the company and they will recalibrate it, if its not reading right. I personally havent had to do it.

Reel Shallow Charters
Capt Justin Hubbard
843-327-7563
www.reelshallowcharters.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Shallow-Charters/285675628125080
http://www.haddrellspoint.com

My wife gave me a Baga for my fiftieth birthday and I am now 67 and it still like new and been realy used , just be sure you have a lanysrd and float, Make sure the float is big enough, glad I tested mine and added another float! Have had crew drop it in the drink many times!