Booking Airline Tickets?

I have not had to schedule airfare in over 20 years, so I am seeking some advice. We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in late June, so I am looking for round-trip tickets for 4.

Is there a “best” place to search for and buy tickets?

Not trying to cheap out but, the trip as whole is going to be pretty pricey so I am trying to save a little $ where I can. Are economy tickets awful and if so, what “level” ticket would you recommend?

Any expert tips, tricks, suggestions from the travel experts appreciated.

Thanks!

We need to book some domestic travel for summer, wife said for whatever reason Tuesdays are the cheapest day of the week. In case you have the luxury of time, of course.

I’m not sure on websites, etc… i’m sure some folks will come along with a lot more info. I haven’t been on a plane since before Covid came along

That was vague and terribly written. She said Tuesdays are the cheapest day to book, not to actually fly. Idk why rates would change like that but they apparently do

Check out googles flight tracker

It will give you updates and a graph of what prices have been.

Book on Tuesdays, try not to fly on Friday thru Sunday.

Book between 60 and 90 days out.

Those are pretty good rules of thumb, but nothing with the airlines is ever solid.

1 Like

Delta website has a "flexible dates " filter you can apply that helps a bunch. You can adjust it for outgoing and incoming flights. I don’t usually pay for airfare, so i don’t know what’s a good price or not. I fly with my miles most of the time these days after spending 10 or so years saving them up.

I used Expedia years ago and it seemed to be an ok tool. Be careful; alot of those are non refundable flights.

In my older age I really like to pay that little extra and get to Delta comfort. Those few extra inches makes a big difference, even on the short flights.

And pro tip, after you purchase your flight, go to FLIGHTGURU.COM to figure out your seats. They have every flight/ every plane seating chart. It helps you find those seats that are a little better with more room.

Some great information! Thanks folks.

I have looked at airfare every day and was shocked to see that the prices change daily. WHY? You’d think airline tickets were actual commodities.

I have never paid for tickets because anytime I have flown anywhere in the last 20 years, it has been job related. This is all new ground for me.