Bottom fishing and diving 6-11 Huge Goliath

Pretty good trip last Saturday with my son and a new diver Casey. Started out on a shrimp boat wreck in 75’and came across the biggest Goliath grouper I’ve seen off our coast. The video doesn’t do him justice, that fish looked like a Volkswagen down there. I bet that fish has broke many a line. Visibility was not real great. maybe 20 feet and green. Caught some good bottom fish on rod and reel including some grouper.
Lot’s of slipper and spiny lobsters out there. Had to let a lot of them go that had eggs. Caught one that was 10.6#
New diver Casey shot his first grouper and right on cue the tax man shows up. Great day with my son and good friends. Doesn’t get any better!
Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsc_GxXCxA4

Rob Harding
236 Sailfish 250 4s Yam
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hope4cameron/
(Fish not Biting? Try a fast presentation of spring steel)</font id=“green”>

Congrats on a great day! Your son is getting very big

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

How big do you think the Goliath was pound wise? Anyone know if you can keep a Goliath off SC? I know you can’t in FL! Is it a State, or Fed, ban on keeping one?

No, they are protected.

That Goliath was amazing, thanks for sharing!

May all your favorite bands stay together…

I think the lobster are amazing. Dang, those are nice :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Wow what a Goliath, thanks for the report/video.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

Great Trip Rob!

Keep in mind the state laws are void after 3 miles. So you are running pure federal. We were stopped by a Federal who inspected out stuff. He clarified that SC bows to the Federal. So whatever SC laws carry to the Federal waters.

hey rob do u do any free diving n spearing…we’ve got a group of 3 free divers tomorrow heading out of ripley and two guys topside…looking for another free diver if you’re interested in going…trying to rally a few more free divers locally too…

EJ

I freedive whenever i can. Will be chasing Bluefin Tuna next week on the west coast.

quote:
Originally posted by charlestonspearo

hey rob do u do any free diving n spearing…we’ve got a group of 3 free divers tomorrow heading out of ripley and two guys topside…looking for another free diver if you’re interested in going…trying to rally a few more free divers locally too…

EJ

Rob Harding
236 Sailfish 250 4s Yam
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hope4cameron/
(Fish not Biting? Try a fast presentation of spring steel)</font id=“green”>

quote:
Originally posted by CharlestonDiving

Will be chasing Bluefin Tuna next week on the west coast.

Loser!!! If only you had the right spear gun!!! :smiley:

Great video! Thanks for posting. Your buddy and Rapchizzle should have a Beard off. :smiley:

I never realized we had Goliath of our coast like that. Wonder just how much food that thing needs to survive? Talk about some super huge fillets! Need a winch to get it on board. I’ve heard they can be aggressive to divers. Any truth to that?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Goliath are occasionally caught in Port Royal sound. I think might be more common than we think.

oc