Bottom paint removal

I have a 23’ contender that has bottom paint that I would like to get removed. I have read on multiple forums ways to do this project DIY. I’m not sure if I want to go that route, bc it sounds like a royal pain in the ass. Who in the charleston area would I contact to get a quote for this type of project? Thanks.

G-CRAFT IN AWENDAW
BOBBY GELKIN

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

It’s definitely a nasty DIY job.

There aren’t words that describe how nasty that job is.

oc

Soda blast it - pay the extra money from time/PITA point of view. Get 3 quotes. Soda blast DOES not hurt the fiberglass, but does scuff up gelcoat. Won’t hurt the barrier coat if installed.

Using paint remover never really completes the job, messy & you’ll curse yourself for starting it.

Fishing the beaches, Bays & Ocean of Wildwood/Cape May, NJ
Soon a resident of Georgetown, SC

quote:
Originally posted by Eric G

Soda blast it - pay the extra money from time/PITA point of view. Get 3 quotes. Soda blast DOES not hurt the fiberglass, but does scuff up gelcoat. Won’t hurt the barrier coat if installed.

Using paint remover never really completes the job, messy & you’ll curse yourself for starting it.

Fishing the beaches, Bays & Ocean of Wildwood/Cape May, NJ
Soon a resident of Georgetown, SC

X2

If you tape everything off it will save you some money as well. Soda blasting takes it off but doesn’t go through the gelcoat which is extremely important. The Aussies don’t like bottom paint and prior to shipping we would line them up (3 boats at a time) and have them soda blasted. Cost of soda blasting versus 80 grit and worn out forearms for days is worth it!

I would say the at least 50% of the boats we removed bottom paint from had osmosis because the hull was not prepared properly prior to installing the bottom paint. You should test a small area before going through the trouble as if osmosis has set in, your up for an even larger project. Better to leave the bottom paint on.

Good luck!

Saerboy
www.oceansinternational.us
“A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats”</font id=“blue”></font id=“size3”>