Brackish pond question

We recently moved to Dunes West and there are a number of ponds in the subdivision. I heard a rumor that some of them held reds so I’ve walked around a few just to see if I could find anything.
These ponds hold bluegill and definitely mullet, so they’re obviously brackish but I didn’t realize bluegill tolerate brackish water? Since there’s mullet, I’m guessing there are probably some reds, etc but I haven’t seen any yet.
Anyone fished or heard about fishing any of the ponds in DW?
Any baby tarpon rumors?
Would love to target the reds with the flyrod but want to make sure they’re there first.
Thanks

When my neighbor was still crabbing, he’s pulled bream and red breast out of his crab pots. And I’ve caught bream, bass, and spot tail all out of the same hole. They’ll tolerate brackish to a degree were they can get back to fresh, but if you’re seeing bream in a pond, I don’t think you’ll have much look with spot tail in it. From my experience most ponds that hold flounder, and spot tail have some kind of lock system that allows water either in or out.

My suggestion is to find the inlet pipe (from the saltwater side) and drop a bait in that area on the incoming tide. Flounder and other fish tend to hang out around those areas.

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

My suggestion is to find the inlet pipe (from the saltwater side) and drop a bait in that area on the incoming tide. Flounder and other fish tend to hang out around those areas.

I guess what I should do is find the ponds closest to the river as I believ they all have inlet/drainage pipes connecting. Do you think a piece of frozen shrimp or frozen mullet near the pipe would get bit or do I need to go live bait?
There’s tons of little minnows etc in the pond, not sure what kind, but I’m 95% sure I’ve seen small schools of finger mullet and a few jumpers as well. Also have seen fiddlers in the pond.

Try with a little live bait or bass topwater lures first. I’ve caught quite a few redfish on bass gear!

Reds can live in nearly straight freshwater (perhaps entirely in fresh water, I think there are some stocked in lakes in Texas if I recall correctly).

Also note that some mullet can live entirely in freshwater, they are all over the Santee lakes.

Moral judgment under girds the entire structure of laws and is necessary for the rational structure of any significant statute. The idea that our laws can stand independent of moral foundation is senseless.----- Albert Mohler.

there could be poon in any one of these ponds.

ALL GINKED UP

Finger Mullet; top bait.

“Don’t tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.” Mark Twain

Years ago I used to catch 20lb Black Drum and 30 - 40lb reds constantly in Dunes West. Not so much anymore…

you are basing you question on mullet = salt.
mullet can and do live in straight fresh water

Catch mullet in Santee all the time in a cast net! Even caught a flounder on a plastic worm, bass fishing there