BRAINSTORM 5/5

Fished up to the North and hoped to catch the tunas. Bite was much slower than it has been. Got there late due to a very low tide and a very large dredge and missed the early action. Very little bait and only a few marks on the sonar. Ended up w/ 4 blackfins and 2 keeper mauis, along with a trash fush mini slam of 2 trophy donkeys, 4 false blackfin, and a cuda. Had a grown wahoo come and go. I guess that’s fishing. Sounds like the Hot Shot and the Sea Fix put on clinics.

We also perfected several new release techniques that the guys have been working on for years. It was a shame that I wasn’t in the cockpit to be a part of the action on any of these new techniques. We scored 3 nice “San Diego” long-range releases on decent mauis. This technique is arguably the best for beginners, but it requires meticuluous consideration of rod angle and line tension. It is best accomplished by concurrent (this is the hard part) wraps around another line in the spread, pointing your tip directly at the fish, and not reeling. The next release is by no means new, but we did add our own twist to an old favorite: 2 nice “Palm Beach Spring Training” at the transom releases, one after the maximum allowable 4 misses of the strike zone and the fish walks. Our final technique was a true first for me. As we gawked at the Sea Fix as they backed down into their slip behind me, Bryan let one go with a “C-dock”, “Look-ma, no hands”, “■■■■ - look what they caught” release into our fine deep water marina. Quill took a dive after the fish but came up without the fish and fortunately without any marina snickers bars either.

Carla Dee is For Sale
Original Owner 1978 Fully Customized 23’ SeaCraft Sceptre w/ 225 Optimax
Autopilot, Trailer, Riggers, Full Curtains, Huge Fish Box, Seating for 6-8,
150g Fuel, CD, ICOM, Release Marine Fighting Chair
$24,800 - Reduced to $19,900

Yeah, I rode with Mark yesterday and I heard you guys talking. I had a similar day up there on Sunday. Dolphin slamings are on!

Purpose One Charters
www.purposeonecharters.com
purposeone@comcast.net

I always enjoy reading your posts CD. Always entertaining; keep them up. Several people have told me that the north has been slow the last couple of days, there’s always next trip. Beats work.

I’m back and I’ve promised to behave this time.
I want to be like Fritz when I grow up.
Edisto-Fisher is my hero…internetly speaking.
My heart is in Antarctica.
Lone Ranger is a tool…man.

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Yeah, we decided to try the tuna thing again after catching our fill of dolphins on Saturday, but we obviously made the wrong decision. I could not believe that I saw the Teaser near the hole. I thought that was against Mark’s religion. I bet it reminded him why he doesn’t like fishing way up there.

Carla Dee is For Sale
Original Owner 1978 Fully Customized 23’ SeaCraft Sceptre w/ 225 Optimax
Autopilot, Trailer, Riggers, Full Curtains, Huge Fish Box, Seating for 6-8,
150g Fuel, CD, ICOM, Release Marine Fighting Chair
$24,800 - Reduced to $19,900

quote:
Originally posted by purposeone

Yeah, I rode with Mark yesterday and I heard you guys talking. I had a similar day up there on Sunday. Dolphin slamings are on!

Purpose One Charters
www.purposeonecharters.com
purposeone@comcast.net

P1, how did you guys do on the Teaser?

Those spring training pitches can be tough to hit when they come right down the middle. I always prefered them to be on either side of the plate.

But it’s a good thing y’all stayed away from the Trinidad Tornado. It can get kind of hairy when performed by a less than expert spinner.

Too bad you missed the tuna bite, at least you had a clean release of Toler’s dredge. Looking to get out this weekend, sun looks like the better of the two.

Glad your getting some good brainstorming time early in the season!

Eric
Reel Options

Nothing like traveling 120 miles on the water, burning 200 gallons of fuel at $4.59 gallon, and loosing one at the dock–priceless. But hey, I can’t talk, I didn’t exactly do a stellar job of landing the mauis last summer on the CD. But, I do look forward to redeeming myself weekend after next aboard the Bandarstick.

Ben Miller