Broken trailer axle

Coming back from Wappo cut today the axle broke on the trailer. Luckily it was 2 blocks from my house. I was able to limp home without it completely severing. So I guess I will replacing it this weekend. If anyone has gone through this before, what should I watch out for? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Fortunately it’s a 16 foot jon boat so I can put the boat in the yard pretty easily to work on it.

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

where did it break?

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

where did it break?

About 3-4 inches from the bearing on the drivers side

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

quote:
Originally posted by Screamingdrag
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

where did it break?

About 3-4 inches from the bearing on the drivers side

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

Looking at the axel, what do the springs and shackles look like! Might want to look at them! Use Stainless hardware, when you put it back together!

http://www.mbcboats.com/FAQs/FAQ.htm#What_size_and_kind_of_trolling_HPX

Here you go
How do you change out the axel on an Ameratrail or similar trailer?

17 MAVERICK HPX-V

Replaced mine on a 16’ wesco trailer a couple months back. I replaced the springs and axle. Worst part was getting the bolts off that hold the spring to the trailer frame. Had to hack saw them. Other than that it was easy enough, took a few hours. Bought the axle, springs, and bolts from Charleston trailer. They made it to order. Did it with the boat still on the trailer.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Looking at the axel, what do the springs and shackles look like! Might want to look at them! Use Stainless hardware, when you put it back together!

The ubolts and nuts are surprising good , I think the past owner replaced them in the last couple years. The leaf springs are fair, going to roll with them for now. I went ahead and got a new axle from seels this morning along with hubs and bearings. Packing the hubs and the bearings looks like it will be a messy job!

17’ Mako
16’ Alumacraft

I have one that is only a couple years old, with springs that I put on last year. I will get measurments and pics for you when I get back to the house. It was one my old trailer that held a 14’ jon boat.
Maybe 44"? I will get back to you in a couple hours.