Brown bear blaster

I’m a fishing guide at a fly out lodge near Ketchikan Alaska in the summertime. The majority of my days are spent fishing the salt for salmon, rockfish and halibut but sometimes my anglers want to do a hike up the creek by the lodge or do a fly out trip to one of the remote freshwater lakes nearby. We have had quite a bit of brown bear activity at the lodge this year, including some coming right up to the buildings. There are plenty of blacks around too.

I’m looking for a short barreled 12 ga with an extended tube for extra shots. Basically a home defense pump shotgun to carry in harsh conditions of the SE Alaskan woods. I want to shoot big badass slugs out of it in the unfortunate occasion that I get into a fight with a brownie. I’m not interested in a wood stock or blued finish as it will be getting banged around in jon boats and hiking up rivers.

Any recommendations from any gun enthusiasts/hunters? Anything to stay away from?

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

I’m a fishing guide at a fly out lodge near Ketchikan Alaska in the summertime. The majority of my days are spent fishing the salt for salmon, rockfish and halibut but sometimes my anglers want to do a hike up the creek by the lodge or do a fly out trip to one of the remote freshwater lakes nearby. We have had quite a bit of brown bear activity at the lodge this year, including some coming right up to the buildings. There are plenty of blacks around too.

I’m looking for a short barreled 12 ga with an extended tube for extra shots. Basically a home defense pump shotgun to carry in harsh conditions of the SE Alaskan woods. I want to shoot big badass slugs out of it in the unfortunate occasion that I get into a fight with a brownie. I’m not interested in a wood stock or blued finish as it will be getting banged around in jon boats and hiking up rivers.

Any recommendations from any gun enthusiasts/hunters? Anything to stay away from?

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/

RBF

My name is RBF, and I am a recovering major thread hijacker.

Yep the 590 is a great shot gun. The ergonomic of the controls are laid out very nicely for ease of use. Of course the Remington 870 not bad either. I’d prefer the 590 over the 870. I’d definitely stick with a pump vs auto if you plan on giving it a beating and not the best care.

Ever considered a AK pistol vs the shot gun? 30 rounds is better than 8, they are a hell of a lot more reliable, and the accuracy thing of a shotgun vs centerfire round is a myth.

I’m no expert but my chief superintendent used to set power lines through mountains in Alaska and was based in Ketchikan. He explained to a shot gun just pissed brown bear off. You need high power…44, etc… he never left home without his pistol. ?

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

Yeah, but a 12 gauge slug has the knockdown power that nothing else offers (that I am aware of). If a big bear is coming at me at close range, I don’t want to have to wait for it to bleed to death after I shoot it. http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagicmagnum.html?&L=0"%20onfocus%3DblurLink(this)

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Yeah, but a 12 gauge slug has the knockdown power that nothing else offers (that I am aware of). If a big bear is coming at me at close range, I don’t want to have to wait for it to bleed to death after I shoot it. http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/blackmagicmagnum.html?&L=0"%20onfocus%3DblurLink(this)

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

This is what I have in my Mossberg home defense shield.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-XP-Sabot-Slugs/740157.uts

Last one in the tube. I start with #4 duck shot, and step up from there to 0, 00, 000, sabot. In the unfortunate event I need to use it, the ammo positioning in the tube, and shoots fired, proves I had premeditated reasonableness for those that enter without permission…

RBF

quote:
You need high power...44, etc... he never left home without his pistol. ?

A .44 magnum isn’t anywhere close to the power of a 12 gauge slug.

quote:
A 438-grain (1oz) slug at 2,000FPS produced about 3,890 foot-pounds at muzzle.

44 Magnum +P+ 1649 foot pounds.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

The 12 ga. shotgun has more than twice the knock down power of a .44 mag. Hard to go wrong with a Remington or Mossberg. I prefer a pump over auto. Remington 870.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Like I said I am no expert but a 44 on your side vs a twelve on your back seems better… he was up there for fifteen year and used his pistol several times for just what he carried it for and it worked. I will stick with experience over speculation if I had the choice.
Just was including my two cents based on what I have learned

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

Lots of guys up here carry a revolver just for the portability of it. They all say a 44 mag is the minimum and is only a backup to a long gun.

As mentioned I don’t want to wait for it to bleed out from a rifle shot and am pretty set on the 12 ga.

The 590A1 and 870 Express are the top two on my list right now. I’m really trying to figure out what finish to get. The Marine finish of either model would be fine for beating around the woods and home defense but if I were to be interested in taking it hunting, it would stick out like a sore thumb even with a new barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

Lots of guys up here carry a revolver just for the portability of it. They all say a 44 mag is the minimum and is only a backup to a long gun.

As mentioned I don’t want to wait for it to bleed out from a rifle shot and am pretty set on the 12 ga.

The 590A1 and 870 Express are the top two on my list right now. I’m really trying to figure out what finish to get. The Marine finish of either model would be fine for beating around the woods and home defense but if I were to be interested in taking it hunting, it would stick out like a sore thumb even with a new barrel.

Come on man. The model 51411, will do everything you need it too, including your girl on a Saturday night…

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/

Are you buying a gun for an investment or defense. Throw some reel magic on this unit and you’ll be good to go. Also comes with the pistol grip option.

RBF

Luckily, I’ve never had to fight a brown bear, never will, I stay south of the Mason Dixon line, but there ain’t much on earth that a 12 Ga. slug won’t stop. And an 870 Remington is the best shotgun ever made IMO. I’ve got 3 of them.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Luckily, I’ve never had to fight a brown bear, never will, I stay south of the Mason Dixon line, but there ain’t much on earth that a 12 Ga. slug won’t stop. And an 870 Remington is the best shotgun ever made IMO. I’ve got 3 of them.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

A bear and a rabbit are taking a **** in the woods, the bear turns to the rabbit and says, “Do you have a problem with **** sticking to your fur?” The rabbit says no and the bear whipes his ass with the rabbit…

RBF

I bought my son a 870 Super Mag a few years back. I told him that would be the only shotgun he would ever need.

Midway USA carries the Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 12 Gauge 3-1/2" 1-3/8 oz Sabot Slug

“Technical Information
Gauge/Bore: 12
Shell Length: 3-1/2”
Slug Type: Sabot Slug
Slug Weight: 1-3/8 oz

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1890 fps
Muzzle Energy: 4759 ft. lbs."

This round would probably be deadly on both ends!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

quote:
Originally posted by spec

I bought my son a 870 Super Mag a few years back. I told him that would be the only shotgun he would ever need.

Midway USA carries the Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 12 Gauge 3-1/2" 1-3/8 oz Sabot Slug

“Technical Information
Gauge/Bore: 12
Shell Length: 3-1/2”
Slug Type: Sabot Slug
Slug Weight: 1-3/8 oz

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1890 fps
Muzzle Energy: 4759 ft. lbs."

This round would probably be deadly on both ends!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

My Dad gave me a filet knife, Play Boy magazines, and a YZ 80,

RBF

RAP - I have spent a little time up in Alaska and those bears come out of nowhere at the most inconvenient times like when you are going pee. A chest holster with a 44 mag or a 500 S&W is a nice option keeps the hands free and allows you to fish and have weapon convenient but out of the way at all times. The shotgun will do the trick but you will put it down a lot. https://www.buffalobore.com/ makes some really good ammo just for those applications.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Don’t be a sissy. Pepper spray is all you need. Get the one in the pink can that goes on your key chain to make it more sporting.

Rap, I’m not an expert on it! But when I was stationed up there, we were told to never go, without at least a 12 gage shotgun! First round was to be 00 buck and the rest slugs! The 00 buck first round would blind the bear and then you break him down with the slugs! Really hard to think of something that powerful[:0] We were told that you needed to break down the shoulders! I guess he would have to waddle after me, if he was going to keep up, after all that:wink: Whatever you get you need a stainless one for the salt environment!

I’m certainly no bear expert, never even seen a brown bear and don’t expect to. A big hand gun is definitely easier to carry, but it’s primary use is to fight your way to something better. Like a shotgun. If I had to pick only one defensive weapon for anything that walks, it would be a Remington 870 12 gauge pump gun.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I’m just gonna throw this out there for fun. AR-15 chambered in .50BMG

18ft Polar CC 115 Yam.

“Pamplona is no place to bring your wife” Earnest Hemmingway

A bear could never catch me because I would be running on hard ground and it would be running on soft ground…

Sounds like Larry is dead set on the 870. :smiley: It is a good weapon.

Rap, no doubt .12guage slugs pack more punch than a .44, but both need a good steady, practiced aim to hit a target. Your target being a brown bear in a bad situation… Personally I’d go for the .12 gauge 3" 000 buck. Gives a little lee way in a quick reaction defense shot with plenty of knock down.

If you really want to see how shaky you are with a pistol aim one with a laser sight. It can bring humbleness to the best pistol shooters. I’ve won a couple of nickle bets over those that think they have a steady hand.